GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   animal id please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208939-animal-id-please.html)

Spider[_3_] 31-12-2013 06:35 PM

animal id please

On 31/12/2013 18:00, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
David Hill wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Bob Hobden said:

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No
hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The
size of
a medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

Or a Rat-Tailed Rutabaga!

Have you ever grown any?

Or an escaped Gilberts Potoroo. Probably a touch unlikely though
seeing as it's well on the endangered list. :-)

It sounds like a hideous disease!

http://www.potoroo.org/

That's enchanting, so I hope it's not what Kay saw and is safely
tucked up somewhere.

If you think that's cute how about a Quokka...

http://www.rottnestisland.com/about/flora-fauna/quokkas

Sorry, I'm having an Ozzy marsupial day.

Aaahh! That's so cute. Mind you, if I wanted to find a real cutie in
my garden, it would have to be a Fennec Fox, even if it doesn't answer
the OP's description!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

David Hill 31-12-2013 07:56 PM

animal id please

On 2013-12-31 16:48:13 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
David Hill wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Bob Hobden said:

[...]

And there I was thinking that potoroo was another name for the
Australian Dunny

Sacha[_11_] 31-12-2013 08:33 PM

animal id please

On 2013-12-31 18:00:38 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote
snip

Or an escaped Gilberts Potoroo. Probably a touch unlikely though seeing
as it's well on the endangered list. :-)

It sounds like a hideous disease!

http://www.potoroo.org/

That's enchanting, so I hope it's not what Kay saw and is safely tucked
up somewhere.

If you think that's cute how about a Quokka...

http://www.rottnestisland.com/about/flora-fauna/quokkas

Sorry, I'm having an Ozzy marsupial day.

Definitely cute central!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Dave Liquorice[_2_] 31-12-2013 09:38 PM

animal id please

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 20:33:55 +0000, Sacha wrote:

http://www.potoroo.org/

That's enchanting, so I hope it's not what Kay saw and is safely
tucked up somewhere.

Looks like a rat ...

I wonder if Kay saw a Black Rat (rattus rattus)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_rat rather than a Brown Rat
(rattus norvegicus) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rat

http://www.rottnestisland.com/about/flora-fauna/quokkas

Definitely cute central!

Looks like a grey squirrel ...

Has Galago been mentioned?

http://pin.primate.wisc.edu/fs/sheets/images/617med.jpg

--
Cheers
Dave.

Spider[_3_] 31-12-2013 10:40 PM

animal id please

On 31/12/2013 21:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 20:33:55 +0000, Sacha wrote:

http://www.potoroo.org/

That's enchanting, so I hope it's not what Kay saw and is safely
tucked up somewhere.

Looks like a rat ...

I wonder if Kay saw a Black Rat (rattus rattus)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_rat rather than a Brown Rat
(rattus norvegicus) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rat

http://www.rottnestisland.com/about/flora-fauna/quokkas

Definitely cute central!

Looks like a grey squirrel ...

Has Galago been mentioned?

http://pin.primate.wisc.edu/fs/sheets/images/617med.jpg

Want one!!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Spider[_3_] 31-12-2013 10:42 PM

animal id please

On 2013-12-31 16:48:13 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
David Hill wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Bob Hobden said:

[...]

LOL!! I used to love that Ausie advert with the dunny and the huge
tarantula. 4X lager wasn't it?

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Bob Hobden 01-01-2014 05:52 PM

animal id please

"David Hill" wrote

And there I was thinking that potoroo was another name for the Australian
Dunny

Having had occasion to actually use one (yes I did check under the seat
first) I can assure you they are not cute!
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.