Old 16-01-2014, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Great British Garden Revival

On 2014-01-14 19:27:51 +0000, David Hill said:

I am surprised that no one has posted about this series.
I'm finding it good, a different format with a good selection of
presenters, though I just can't take very much of Christine Walkden, I
had to change channels after almost 15 mins. of her. I know others find
her good.
Then tonight being told how to get rid of bindweed, "don't pull it up
as it has a tap-root that can go down a couple of meters" a different
form to any I have found in a long life of fighting it. But I'm being
picky.
Lets have more gardening progs. in this sort of format.
David @ a rainy side of Swansea Bay.

We've seen it very little, chiefly because of time constraints with
guests during and after Christmas. We saw it last night and enjoyed it
and we do like Christine Walkden. We also liked the straightforward
presenting on 'how to do this' with Toby Buckland. I watched some of
tonight's and while I'm not a fan of Alys Fowler's, I found her
approach and the direction of the programme far preferable to her GW
stuff.

I made the same comment. It looks to me as if sometimes it really is the
producer/director, who makes some presenters irritating. In our opinion the BBC
have got it right this time.

I think so. It was a lot more straightforward in terms of approach and
presenting and there was less of the evangelical stuff about 'peat
free' being the only way to go etc. I also felt that somehow, the
programme really was more about plants and gardens and gardeners, than
presenters as celebs who happen to be doing some gardening. That is not
to denigrate their knowledge or training but to praise this particular
director's approach to the subject - far less 'frilly'!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-01-2014, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

It looks like they atren't going to show the two missing episodes that were
cancelled in December because Nelson Mandela died. Maybe they will when the
whole series is repeated again and again and ...

I think you may have miscounted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03lv3fb/episodes/guide

Originally there were to be two complete weeks. However, as two
episodes were omitted, then they had to add the broadcasts on Jan
13 & 14.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 17-01-2014, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/01/2014 19:27, David Hill wrote:
I am surprised that no one has posted about this series.
I'm finding it good, a different format with a good selection of
presenters, though I just can't take very much of Christine Walkden, I
had to change channels after almost 15 mins. of her. I know others find
her good.
Then tonight being told how to get rid of bindweed, "don't pull it up as
it has a tap-root that can go down a couple of meters" a different form
to any I have found in a long life of fighting it. But I'm being picky.
Lets have more gardening progs. in this sort of format.
David @ a rainy side of Swansea Bay.

I was too busy to watch them in 'real' time, but recorded them and have
recently started watching. Still lots to catch up with, but I'm really
enjoying the ones I've seen. It's a solid, enthusiastic and informative
format. I haven't seen the 'bindweed taproot' episode yet, but most of
what I've seen is broadly correct (within the realms where my knowledge
can judge it, of course!). I can't wait to see the 'stumpery' one. I
love the pictures I've seen of HRH's Highgrove stumpery, and am
wondering what this prog will show us. I'd like to have a go at
building one - although not on that scale!
I shall certainly see the rest of the series. I'm beginning to regret
cancelling the few I've seen already, but no doubt there'll be a repeat.
If the Beeb make more series like that, then I shall certainly be tuning
in. It's attractive, tempting television which might help to draw more
gardeners in. Great production.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London