Old 18-01-2014, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pulsitilla Vulgaris

Never had much luck with these flowering planted 2 years ago. I have one
growing in the wrong spot (too shady?) and another growing under a cherry
tree in reasonable light.

Neither have flowered and currently the foliage on both of them seems to
have withered and died away. Is this normal for winter?

Old 19-01-2014, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-18 18:33:32 +0000, Frank Booth said:

Never had much luck with these flowering planted 2 years ago. I have one
growing in the wrong spot (too shady?) and another growing under a cherry
tree in reasonable light.

Neither have flowered and currently the foliage on both of them seems to
have withered and died away. Is this normal for winter?

They like full sun and good drainage and are often used as rock plants
or scree plants, so could yours be too wet, as well as shady? Some say
they are tricky to establish but they're such gorgeous little plants,
I'd say it's worth persevering! They don't like being disturbed,
apparently but it might be worth digging yours up and moving them to a
more favourable position, if you can. And they're perennials, so the
foliage will disappear for the winter and start shooting again in
spring. I noticed some of ours in pots just starting to pop through the
other day.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-01-2014, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-18 18:33:32 +0000, Frank Booth said:

[...]

No sign of life in either of mine yet, but I would have thought it's a bit
too early yet. I'm being a bit haesh on the one planted under the cherry
tree as it was only bought and planted last June but I'm not cinfident. It's
next to a Lithodora Diffusa biught the same time and that sems to be
thriving despite all the rain. Lithodoras apparently hate wet feet so as
conditions are similar for Pulsatilla maybe that particular one will do
ok.The white one in the shade has been in the ground for 2 years now and
last year the filiage grew healthily, but te plant just didn't flower. I'll
move it in a few days.

Old 19-01-2014, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

conditions are similar for Pulsatilla maybe that particular one will do
ok.The white one in the shade has been in the ground for 2 years now and
last year the filiage grew healthily, but te plant just didn't flower. I'll
move it in a few days.

I'd leave well alone till the weather settles down and the rain eases off.
For me beginning of March would be early enough.