Old 09-02-2014, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slugs have no taste

I am feeding some of my unwelcome guests on Tesco Value bitter
and lager, and they seem to like it. In the interests of science,
I tried a sip of each. The former is vaguely reminiscient of
Grotney's Gaslight, for those who are very ancient, but the
latter is very like sex in a punt (to use the classic description).
Fizzy and wet, and with a vague flavour that I would have been
hard put to identify without knowing what the stuff was sold as.
Still, at 25 pence a shot, it's clearly the Right Stuff - for slugs.

Mainly garden slugs, with some field slugs - the large black and
red slugs do not seem to be active yet. The latter are the ones
that seriously annoy my wife (and me, when I tread on them with
bare feet), but the former are pretty annoying, too. It was last
year that triggered me into creating a dozen slug traps from old
2-litre fizzy drinks bottles (my daughters have low taste in such
things, though much better in real drinks) and some spare roof
tiles.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/02/2014 19:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]

and there I was expecting a few cooking ideas Garlic butter, herbs etc.
but not just a marinade for them.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Oh, thank goodness, Nick! I thought for a moment that you'd been eating
the disgusting things. Yuk!

I'm afraid I just give my slugs and snails flying lessons - or should
that be lesions! Heh heh.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 10-02-2014, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/02/2014 20:08, Spider wrote:
[...]

For those who have been disappointed by the way this thread has gone,
this link may bring it back to what you expected
http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipe...and-cook-slugs
Old 11-02-2014, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/02/2014 23:20, David Hill wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a recipe for an emetic! :~(

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

You garden bare foot??

--
Pete C
adventure before dementure
Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pete C wrote:

[...]

Well, er, yes - is there another way?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/02/2014 21:53, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,

You garden bare foot??

Well, er, yes - is there another way?

Certainly, if you garden where these grow!
http://www.cactiguide.com/graphics/s_eruca_m_600.jpg

Or, if you like things over-dramatised:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkKyFPJUjtM

--

Jeff
Old 10-02-2014, 12:20 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C[_2_] View Post
You garden bare foot??
If you go around barefoot (which I used to do as a child, gravel and holly leaves notwithstanding), you pay a lot more attention to what your feet are telling you. Even though I normally wear shoes now, I'm more sure-footed than the rest of m family, much less likely to trip over things or step on breakable or obnoxious stuff.
__________________
Old 10-02-2014, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:

'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
;998437']
You garden bare foot??

If you go around barefoot (which I used to do as a child, gravel and
holly leaves notwithstanding), you pay a lot more attention to what your
feet are telling you. Even though I normally wear shoes now, I'm more
sure-footed than the rest of m family, much less likely to trip over
things or step on breakable or obnoxious stuff.

I agree. I used to go barefoot a lot in my youth and still am fairly
sure-footed. It helps having 8 of course ;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 10-02-2014, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
;998437']
You garden bare foot??

If you go around barefoot (which I used to do as a child, gravel and
holly leaves notwithstanding), you pay a lot more attention to what your
feet are telling you. Even though I normally wear shoes now, I'm more
sure-footed than the rest of m family, much less likely to trip over
things or step on breakable or obnoxious stuff.

I agree. I used to go barefoot a lot in my youth and still am fairly
sure-footed. It helps having 8 of course ;~).

Whereas I find it much easier to go barefoot because I am quite the
opposite of sure-footed! With no vestibular (semi-circular canal)
balance, I balance almost entirely by touch through my feet and
proprioreception. But, when I would lose feeling because of the
cold, I simply HAVE to wear boots :-(

But, I quite agree with the attention point - not just consciously,
but in terms of reflexes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/02/2014 17:10, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

What a tricky condition to live with. Clearly, you've found a way, but
it must be hard in winter - now, in fact.
In spite of being generally sure-footed, I do suffer with a mild form of
'vertigo' and can suddenly become dizzy. Heights are tricky, too. I
can get dizzy just standing at the kerb waiting to cross a road.
I suppose we all have our little cross to bear.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:

'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
;998437']
You garden bare foot??

If you go around barefoot (which I used to do as a child, gravel and
holly leaves notwithstanding), you pay a lot more attention to what your
feet are telling you. Even though I normally wear shoes now, I'm more
sure-footed than the rest of m family, much less likely to trip over
things or step on breakable or obnoxious stuff.

I agree. I used to go barefoot a lot in my youth and still am fairly
sure-footed. It helps having 8 of course ;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay
8 FEET.....or toes?

well, either way I suppose!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:19 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmaturin View Post
8 FEET.....or toes?

well, either way I suppose!
You have to remember that Spider is one of those posters who does not use a pseudonym ;-)
__________________
Old 11-02-2014, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/02/2014 08:25, gardenmaturin wrote:

'Spider[_3_ Wrote:
;998460']On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:-

'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:-
;998437']
You garden bare foot??
-

If you go around barefoot (which I used to do as a child, gravel and
holly leaves notwithstanding), you pay a lot more attention to what
your
feet are telling you. Even though I normally wear shoes now, I'm more
sure-footed than the rest of m family, much less likely to trip over
things or step on breakable or obnoxious stuff.

-
I agree. I used to go barefoot a lot in my youth and still am fairly
sure-footed. It helps having 8 of course ;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay

8 FEET.....or toes?

well, either way I suppose!

Quite so. Spiders can also have two or three tarsal claws to each
tarsal tip, so up to 24 'anchors'.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London