Old 14-02-2014, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 45 mph (:-(

In message , Peter & Jeanne
writes
Wind speed this mid PM forecast for Nantwich
Should finally deal with the failing polythene on the pollytunn.!!

Anybody got higher predictions(BBC internet in my case) in their areas
and any other worries.

Must be well the highest so far this winter (:-(

Pete

Nowhere near the highest - 72mph Wed evening on our roof (nr Nantwich)
--
bert
Old 14-02-2014, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Wind speed this mid PM forecast for Nantwich
Should finally deal with the failing polythene on the pollytunn.!!

Anybody got higher predictions(BBC internet in my case) in their
areas and
any other worries.

Must be well the highest so far this winter (:-(

45 barely counts as a stiff breeze here in West Scotland, where 80 to
90 is nothing unusual.

Er, a MEAN wind speed of even 80 MPH is well into force 12, which
isn't all that common even in the Western Isles. But I agree that
one of 45 MPH in north-west Scotland wouldn't even be mentioned
specially on the national weather report - it's a mere force 8.

I did a quick Web search, and Tiree gets over 25 days a year with
wind speeds above 40 MPH. It is interesting that a gust of 102 MPH
is regarded as exceptional at Glasgow airport, but would elicit
nothing more than muttered cursing at Tiree. See:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ws/print.html

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

ISTR the design speed of the Forth Road Bridge was 140mph. Let's hope
Scotland goes independent before it blows down.
--
bert
Old 14-02-2014, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , ] says...

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Fortunately its replacement is on schedule to be completed in 2016
:-)

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...h-replacement-
crossing

webcam views here

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...h-replacement-
crossing/webcams

Janet

Old 16-02-2014, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet
writes
In article , ] says...

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

But if the climate change zealots are to be believed we could be well
over 140 by then.
--
bert