Old 12-02-2014, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 45 mph (:-(

Wind speed this mid PM forecast for Nantwich
Should finally deal with the failing polythene on the pollytunn.!!

Anybody got higher predictions(BBC internet in my case) in their areas and
any other worries.

Must be well the highest so far this winter (:-(

Pete

Old 12-02-2014, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Peter & Jeanne wrote:
Wind speed this mid PM forecast for Nantwich
Should finally deal with the failing polythene on the pollytunn.!!

Anybody got higher predictions(BBC internet in my case) in their areas and
any other worries.

Must be well the highest so far this winter (:-(

If the south-east were to get that sort of wind, there would be a
LOT of damage, and Cameron would doubtless blow in and blow hard :-(

Cambridge is predicted gusts of 36, but that's it.

I rather hope that we get a downpour in this area, because I should
like to see how a local flood-plain development fares, but I expect
to be disappointed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter & Jeanne" wrote in message
Wind speed this mid PM forecast for Nantwich
Should finally deal with the failing polythene on the pollytunn.!!

Anybody got higher predictions(BBC internet in my case) in their areas
and any other worries.

Must be well the highest so far this winter (:-(

I don't know about cheshire, I'm in Dorset, and the BBC are forcasting
"hurricane force" winds for later this morning. I don't know what that is in
MPH, but I think a bit more than 45 :-(

Steve

Old 12-02-2014, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter & Jeanne" wrote in message

Wind speed this mid PM forecast for Nantwich
Should finally deal with the failing polythene on the pollytunn.!!

Anybody got higher predictions(BBC internet in my case) in their areas and
any other worries.

Must be well the highest so far this winter (:-(

Pete

This is what we have been forecasted ........

STORMY weather is expected to hit the Isle of Wight over the coming days.

A Met Office amber weather warning for wind is in effect for the whole
Island today (Wednesday), along with a yellow warning for rain.

Wind speeds could reach around 80mph according to the Met Office, which
could disrupt cross-Solent travel.

Yellow warnings are in place for wind in the early hours of tomorrow
(Thursday) and for rain on Friday and Saturday.

We will update this story regularly, with the latest updates posted at the
top:

09:31

Hovertravel services are suspended.

Wightlink and Red Funnel services still operating.

Island Line train services have resumed, however a shuttle taxi service is
operating on Ryde Pier, which was damaged during recent bad weather.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

Old 12-02-2014, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/02/14 09:08, Peter & Jeanne wrote:
Wind speed this mid PM forecast for Nantwich
Should finally deal with the failing polythene on the pollytunn.!!

Anybody got higher predictions(BBC internet in my case) in their areas and any other worries.

Must be well the highest so far this winter (:-(

Pete

A very good animated overview of pressure, temperature (min, max, ground),
pressure, humidity, wind speed, precipitation averaged over various periods,
cloud cover, and many more things can be found at
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MOD ELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=uv10&HH=0&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

And using
http://rasp.inn.leedsmet.ac.uk/RASPtableGM/RASPtableGM.html
to zoom in on Failand (i.e. hills outside Bristol), I can see
15:00 - wind at 2m: 33kt (=38mph)
15:00 - wind at 10m: 43kt (=50mph)

Old 12-02-2014, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Wind speed this mid PM forecast for Nantwich
Should finally deal with the failing polythene on the pollytunn.!!

Anybody got higher predictions(BBC internet in my case) in their areas and
any other worries.

Must be well the highest so far this winter (:-(

45 barely counts as a stiff breeze here in West Scotland, where 80 to
90 is nothing unusual.

Er, a MEAN wind speed of even 80 MPH is well into force 12, which
isn't all that common even in the Western Isles. But I agree that
one of 45 MPH in north-west Scotland wouldn't even be mentioned
specially on the national weather report - it's a mere force 8.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Wind speed this mid PM forecast for Nantwich
Should finally deal with the failing polythene on the pollytunn.!!

Anybody got higher predictions(BBC internet in my case) in their areas and
any other worries.

Must be well the highest so far this winter (:-(

45 barely counts as a stiff breeze here in West Scotland, where 80 to
90 is nothing unusual.

Er, a MEAN wind speed of even 80 MPH is well into force 12, which
isn't all that common even in the Western Isles. But I agree that
one of 45 MPH in north-west Scotland wouldn't even be mentioned
specially on the national weather report - it's a mere force 8.

I did a quick Web search, and Tiree gets over 25 days a year with
wind speeds above 40 MPH. It is interesting that a gust of 102 MPH
is regarded as exceptional at Glasgow airport, but would elicit
nothing more than muttered cursing at Tiree. See:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ws/print.html

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:23 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter & Jeanne View Post
Wind speed this mid PM forecast for Nantwich
Should finally deal with the failing polythene on the pollytunn.!!

Anybody got higher predictions(BBC internet in my case) in their areas and
any other worries.

Must be well the highest so far this winter (:-(
We've got a prediction of 37mph with gusts to 65mph, which is not the highest we've had. I know from last week that I can't stand upright in gusts exceeding 50mph ;-)
Old 13-02-2014, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
kay

Well not only did the gusts here make short work here of stripping my tunnel
completely of poly but we lost power for 18hrs - just back now.

Advance notice of sale of super pro grade tunnel - (ready stripped- lol)
(120 x 35 ft approx)
Cheshire - buyer dismantles and collects - all offers considered.

Pete