Old 13-02-2014, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 'No dig' on the allotment and current weather.

Starting point - I don't have the time at the moment to dig the allotment
and anyway the amount of water in the ground presumably makes this 'not a
good thing'.

My plan was/is to cover beds with black (or dark colour) plastic to stifle
the weeds and so allow use of the beds with minimal preparation.

However I have seen warnings that black plastic can make the ground 'sour'.

So is it O.K. to cover waterlogged ground with plastic (assuming it will
stay there in all these winds) or is it likely to do more harm than good.

TIA

Dave R
Old 13-02-2014, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 12:19:26 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

So is it O.K. to cover waterlogged ground with plastic (assuming it will
stay there in all these winds) or is it likely to do more harm than
good.

Should be fine provided the soil is reasonably well-drained. You need to
think about where the water that runs off the plastic is going to go
though! Lots or rain still to come before planting/sowing time, I guess.
Old carpet might be better as it is heavier (less likely to blow away) and
water-permeable. Carpet firms are usually delighted to let you take it as
they have to pay to dispose of it.
Old 13-02-2014, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 12:28:22 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 12:19:26 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

So is it O.K. to cover waterlogged ground with plastic (assuming it
will stay there in all these winds) or is it likely to do more harm
than good.

Should be fine provided the soil is reasonably well-drained. You need to
think about where the water that runs off the plastic is going to go
though! Lots or rain still to come before planting/sowing time, I guess.
Old carpet might be better as it is heavier (less likely to blow away)
and water-permeable. Carpet firms are usually delighted to let you take
it as they have to pay to dispose of it.

Very strong warnings against old carpet because of the chemicals which
leach out into the soil.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/...?topic=75757.0

is one example of the discussion.

I think that you would have to leave a space between each run of plastic
for the water to run onto.

However if you cultivate in strips then this is not too big a problem.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 13-02-2014, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/02/2014 12:19, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Starting point - I don't have the time at the moment to dig the allotment
and anyway the amount of water in the ground presumably makes this 'not a
good thing'.

My plan was/is to cover beds with black (or dark colour) plastic to stifle
the weeds and so allow use of the beds with minimal preparation.

However I have seen warnings that black plastic can make the ground 'sour'.

So is it O.K. to cover waterlogged ground with plastic (assuming it will
stay there in all these winds) or is it likely to do more harm than good.

TIA

Dave R

Weedproof membrane would be better, as it is permeable and allows
rainwater through it.

--

Jeff
Old 13-02-2014, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/02/2014 13:23, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
[...]

People do get overly wound up about "chemicals".

Compared to the chemicals in old railway sleepers and CCA tanallised
wood I'd say that the chemicals in carpet were largely benign. I don't
like the look of old carpet on allotments but it keeps the weeds down.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 13-02-2014, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 13:23:44 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Very strong warnings against old carpet because of the chemicals which
leach out into the soil.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/...?topic=75757.0

From that discussion:

I can see that synthetic fibre carpets or those with rubber underlay
would be an environmental problem but can't see that wool or sisal or coco
fibre carpets and matting would be of concern unless they've had an
industrial chemical sprayed on to protect them at the time of
manufacture.

With which I agree. As to disposing of it, wool/canvas/sisal have all
lived and will compost. Man-made fibres and artificial rubber backing
won't. So choose carefully
Old 13-02-2014, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:40:02 +0100, Martin wrote:

You will also have the problem of disposing of it, when it is no longer
needed

If it's all natural it will compost.
Old 13-02-2014, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Our Council banned all carpet from allotments over a year ago

--
Pete C
adventure before dementure
Old 13-02-2014, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 17:11:09 +0000, Janet wrote:

There are plenty of plant fibre carpets in the UK, woven sisal coir
seagrass etc, and all-wool on jute canvas etc.

And them's the ones you want
Old 13-02-2014, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/02/2014 12:19, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Starting point - I don't have the time at the moment to dig the allotment
and anyway the amount of water in the ground presumably makes this 'not a
good thing'.

My plan was/is to cover beds with black (or dark colour) plastic to stifle
the weeds and so allow use of the beds with minimal preparation.

However I have seen warnings that black plastic can make the ground 'sour'.

So is it O.K. to cover waterlogged ground with plastic (assuming it will
stay there in all these winds) or is it likely to do more harm than good.

TIA

Dave R

If your ground is waterlogged then no way would I cover it with anything.
Any cover will slow down the drying out of the ground and raise the risk
of stagnant soil.
Leave it uncovered, rough dig when you can to let more air in and THEN
cover it.
David amongst the fallen trees.