Old 17-02-2014, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trolls and trolling

An interesting web site in view of recent post here.
I'm not trying to inflame anyone, just posting this for interest.

http://tinyurl.com/kpnbo7u

Peter

--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential
Old 17-02-2014, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-17 08:24:15 +0000, Peter James said:

An interesting web site in view of recent post here.
I'm not trying to inflame anyone, just posting this for interest.

http://tinyurl.com/kpnbo7u

Peter

Very interesting!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-02-2014, 03:44 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_11_] View Post
On 2014-02-17 08:24:15 +0000, Peter James said:

An interesting web site in view of recent post here.
I'm not trying to inflame anyone, just posting this for interest.

http://tinyurl.com/kpnbo7u

Peter

Very interesting!
-
Hmm...
"The more beautiful and pure a thing is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt."

How many people here have enjoyed being the first to plant their footprints in virgin snow?
__________________
Old 17-02-2014, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 08:24:15 Peter James wrote:

An interesting web site in view of recent post here.
I'm not trying to inflame anyone, just posting this for interest.

http://tinyurl.com/kpnbo7u

Peter

And I think this is the nub of it:

'Overall, the authors found that the relationship between sadism and
trolling was the strongest, and that indeed, sadists appear to troll
because they find it pleasurable. “Both trolls and sadists feel
sadistic glee at the distress of others,” they wrote. “Sadists just
want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!”'

Isn't this what we've always known?

David
Old 17-02-2014, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 08:24:15 Peter James wrote:

An interesting web site in view of recent post here.
I'm not trying to inflame anyone, just posting this for interest.

http://tinyurl.com/kpnbo7u

Peter

And I think this is the nub of it:

'Overall, the authors found that the relationship between sadism and
trolling was the strongest, and that indeed, sadists appear to troll
because they find it pleasurable. "Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic
glee at the distress of others," they wrote. "Sadists just want to have
fun ... and the Internet is their playground!"'

Isn't this what we've always known?

David

The only really good reponse is to treat the posts in the light of a bad
fishing day - no bites
Ignoring trolls is the only way to get rid of them. Please don't respond
to them.

Bill

Old 17-02-2014, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

[...]

Bill that 'is' the answer, but this one was a superb example of how not
pruning a thread, which is supposed to be done according to the rules and
regulations of urg but soooooooooooooooooo often is ignored ..............
BY THOSE WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER .................. is done.

And even though I only used it as an example, "I" was lambasted!!!

:-)

However, you just watch the threads being a mile long in future, 'just to
show Crowe'

:-)

Good for a laugh you are :-) You provide HOURS of entertainment and
conversation at reunions :-) .... PLEASE please please carry on :-)

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

Old 17-02-2014, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-17 17:58:56 +0000, David Rance said:

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 08:24:15 Peter James wrote:

An interesting web site in view of recent post here.
I'm not trying to inflame anyone, just posting this for interest.

http://tinyurl.com/kpnbo7u

Peter

And I think this is the nub of it:

'Overall, the authors found that the relationship between sadism and
trolling was the strongest, and that indeed, sadists appear to troll
because they find it pleasurable. “Both trolls and sadists feel
sadistic glee at the distress of others,” they wrote. “Sadists just
want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!”'

Isn't this what we've always known?

David

Did you miss the bit about narcissism? ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-02-2014, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-17 17:58:56 +0000, David Rance said:

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 08:24:15 Peter James wrote:

An interesting web site in view of recent post here.
I'm not trying to inflame anyone, just posting this for interest.
http://tinyurl.com/kpnbo7u
Peter

And I think this is the nub of it:
'Overall, the authors found that the relationship between sadism
and trolling was the strongest, and that indeed, sadists appear to
troll because they find it pleasurable. “Both trolls and sadists
feel sadistic glee at the distress of others,” they wrote.
“Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!”'
Isn't this what we've always known?
David

Did you miss the bit about narcissism? ;-)

No, but I don't think it's relevant. Our trolls may well be narcissistic
but it's the sadistic trait that is important to them here.

David

Old 17-02-2014, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Malcolm wrote:

In article , David Rance
writes
On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 18:48:36 sacha wrote:

An interesting web site in view of recent post here.
I'm not trying to inflame anyone, just posting this for interest.
http://tinyurl.com/kpnbo7u
Peter

And I think this is the nub of it:
'Overall, the authors found that the relationship between sadism
and trolling was the strongest, and that indeed, sadists appear to
troll because they find it pleasurable. “Both trolls and sadists
feel sadistic glee at the distress of others,” they wrote.
“Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!”'
Isn't this what we've always known?
David

Did you miss the bit about narcissism? ;-)

No, but I don't think it's relevant. Our trolls may well be
narcissistic but it's the sadistic trait that is important to them here.

I disagree. They are sad, lonely attention seekers. Inadequate males, no
girlfriend, partner or wife, or none that understands them (!), and
ignored by all their friends, if they have any.

Quite a few are female, and it's often not loneliness but a lack
of self-esteem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-02-2014, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-17 15:44:05 +0000, kay said:

'Sacha[_11_ Wrote:
;998829']On 2014-02-17 08:24:15 +0000, Peter James said:
-
An interesting web site in view of recent post here.
I'm not trying to inflame anyone, just posting this for interest.

http://tinyurl.com/kpnbo7u

Peter-

Very interesting!
-

Hmm...
"The more beautiful and pure a thing is, the more satisfying it is to
corrupt."

How many people here have enjoyed being the first to plant their
footprints in virgin snow?

I HATE doing that! Perhaps I have a virgin complex...
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-02-2014, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-17 17:58:56 +0000, David Rance said:

[...]

Oh, I think narcissism rears its head often. There are frequent boasts
by trolls here but over nothing of any note. Sadism? Very amateurish,
given what others see or suffer, poor Professor Beard, for example. I
say 'poor' but actually, she's obviously quite unmoved by it and deals
with it perfectly. If there's a category for juvenile, kindergarten
level behaviour, I think that's been observed here rather a lot. It
seems akin to the child that deliberate pees in its pants to get
'mummy' to pay attention.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-02-2014, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 20:25:09 Malcolm wrote:

In article , David Rance
writes

On 2014-02-17 17:58:56 +0000, David Rance said:

[...]

I think that's what you'd *like* to believe as it then enables you to be
condescending and patronising towards them. I see nothing but the sheer
delight in poking fun at us. Unfortunately, those who do respond often
show more of their own character weaknesses than they should which fuels
the delight of the antagonist even further.

David

Old 18-02-2014, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-17 20:53:57 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Malcolm wrote:

In article , David Rance
writes
[...]

I think excessive drinking was cited in the case of one of those who
were jailed recently for posting some horrific and threatening abuse.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-02-2014, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 08:24:15 +0000, Peter James wrote:

An interesting web site in view of recent post here.
I'm not trying to inflame anyone, just posting this for interest.

http://tinyurl.com/kpnbo7u

Peter

Just to note that I think the term 'Troll' has been hijacked by the media.

Back in the day, at least a portion of Usenet trolling fell into the
category of gentle (or robust) teasing.
AFAIK it derived from a fishing technique where a bright shiny lure was
dragged through the water in the hope that it would prove irresistible and
something would bite.

On Usenet most people are (or were) anonymous and there was a phrase "It's
only Usenet - nobody dies" used to remind people that this in the end it
was all just chatter, and if you didn't want to engage then all you had to
do was step away. As in "Don't feed the trolls."

Trolling was not generally personal - just idle amusement for most.

The term is now being applied to targeted personal abuse on social media
where the target is clearly identified as a real person and is being
abused because of something they have done and/or said in real life.

This is totally different from traditional Usenet where anonymity is/was
the norm.

So studies of "Trolling" may not be directly relevant to Usenet especially
with the definition creep.

May I recommend the kill file to my learned friends?

Ignore the trolls (don't feed them, don't snap at the lure) and they will
usually go somewhere else.

Responding and complaining just shows a reaction - which is what trolls
(malicious and benign) are really looking for.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 18-02-2014, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/18/2014 3:35 AM, Chris Hogg wrote:

The obvious way to deal with trolls and other abusive posters is
simply to kill-file them. That starves them of any satisfaction they
may get from people responding to them. I wish more people here did it
to some of our resident trolls and other idiots.

+1