Old 20-02-2014, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT mobile phone coverage

Can I get opinions from those in the west country about which company
offers the best coverage? We're both with Orange (now EE, I believe)
and keep getting 'no service' messages or two bars at the most for a
brief moment. Our closest town is Ashburton. The service has always
been patchy but now it's awful!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-02-2014, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/02/2014 11:49, sacha wrote:
Can I get opinions from those in the west country about which company
offers the best coverage? We're both with Orange (now EE, I believe) and
keep getting 'no service' messages or two bars at the most for a brief
moment. Our closest town is Ashburton. The service has always been
patchy but now it's awful!

Have a look here....

http://www.uk-mobile-broadband-deals...FazHtAodAzUAlw
HTH
--
Pete C
adventure before dementure
Old 20-02-2014, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote in message ...

Can I get opinions from those in the west country about which company
offers the best coverage? We're both with Orange (now EE, I believe)
and keep getting 'no service' messages or two bars at the most for a
brief moment. Our closest town is Ashburton. The service has always
been patchy but now it's awful!
--
Sacha

I am with O2 and NEVER have trouble anywhere. Even at sea on a cruise or
ashore in a foreign land.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

Old 20-02-2014, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/02/2014 11:49, sacha wrote:

Can I get opinions from those in the west country about which company
offers the best coverage? We're both with Orange (now EE, I believe) and
keep getting 'no service' messages or two bars at the most for a brief
moment. Our closest town is Ashburton. The service has always been
patchy but now it's awful!

Try O2 or Three. Take coverage maps with a pinch of salt.

I have just abandoned O2 for three as the signal at home had gone down
to the point where the phone lost signal and rebooted often enough to
kill the battery on standby. If your phone is unlocked take a punt on a
PAYG free sim for another carrier until you find one that works.

(or grizzle at your provider and see if they will supply you with a
local phone cell that runs over your fixed line ADSL internet)

You have to dig really deep in the support site to find it!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-02-2014, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

(or grizzle at your provider and see if they will supply you with a
local phone cell that runs over your fixed line ADSL internet)

The mind boggles! Telephone over Internet over telephone, often
then over Internet ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 20-02-2014, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:49:50 +0000, sacha wrote:

Can I get opinions from those in the west country about which company
offers the best coverage?

Depends where you are. To define "where you are" a bit better
coverage can vary considerably between providers in the space of a
hundred metres or so.

We're both with Orange (now EE, I believe) and keep getting 'no service'
messages or two bars at the most for a brief moment.

Orange and T-Mobile merged a while ago to form "Everything
Everywhere", which I think they have rebranded to EE. Far to easy to
change Everything Everywhere to Nothing Anywhere. B-)

As a result I believe that EE is in the process of rationalising the
combined networks and removing duplicate cells. There may be
"unexpected" consequences of this particularly if the old Orange and
T-Mobiles sites involved are not on the same mast.

Another possibility is that the cell you'd normally be connected
through is broken (rather than removed) and you are connecting to one
that only just provides service where you are. Try giving "customer
services" a call if you have a spare hour to listen to music...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-02-2014, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/20/2014 8:57 AM, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Another possibility is that the cell you'd normally be connected
through is broken (rather than removed) and you are connecting to one
that only just provides service where you are. Try giving "customer
services" a call if you have a spare hour to listen to music...

Last year, I spent most of a morning trying to persuade Orange/EE that
the problems I was experiencing were due to their network and not my
phone, or to my configuration of said phone. There _was_ a problem with
the local cell, and it was eventually resolved.
Old 20-02-2014, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-20 13:57:28 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

[...]

Thanks to you all for these very helpful bits of information. It's
always been patchy round here (and just about non-existent on Dartmoor)
but I'm sure it's got worse. Perhaps, as you say, it's because EE is
fiddling about! Ironically, outside the village and behind a couple of
hills is a mast thingy but it doesn't stretch to us, obviously! Even
in our nearest town, the signal can be very iffy. I dread the prospect
of changing servers so I'll wait a couple of months to see what
happens. We use our mobiles rarely but when we need them, we do need
them!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-02-2014, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
[...]

Reading the DT today EE are moving some of their call centre work back
to the UK. However "simple" tasks will still be dealt with overseas. No
b****** signal may well fall into that category.
--
bert
Old 20-02-2014, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , sacha
writes
On 2014-02-20 13:57:28 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

[...]

Basic PAYG phone are only a few quid these days. You know what EE is
like. Ask in UK.telecom and someone will tell you which suppliers ride
on which networks so you can try another one. There are only two or
three different networks.
--
bert

Old 20-02-2014, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bert" wrote in message ...

Reading the DT today EE are moving some of their call centre work back
to the UK. However "simple" tasks will still be dealt with overseas. No
b****** signal may well fall into that category.

--
bert

Well - I would back Vodafone best for anywhere out of towns especially.

Pete
Old 20-02-2014, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , sacha
writes
On 2014-02-20 13:57:28 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

[...]

Thanks. I do want to keep my phone number, though, so if I can do that
and use my iPhone, I'll be happy to change. I've just managed to send a
text message which has taken 24 hours to 'go'! To me, this is one of
those things that either works or doesn't - bit like my very elderly
car. If it doesn't, it's not worth having.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-02-2014, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-20 16:55:46 +0000, Peter & Jeanne said:

"bert" wrote in message ...

Reading the DT today EE are moving some of their call centre work back
to the UK. However "simple" tasks will still be dealt with overseas. No
b****** signal may well fall into that category.

When I became an Orange customer 15 years ago or so, it was claimed
that it had the best coverage in this area. We may just be unlucky but
as far as I can see, the Nursery staff seem to have no trouble with
their phones if they need to use them. So - I'll check on their
providers as and when they come to work (different days, different
people at this time of year) and I'll also have a moan to EE/Orange -
much good may that do me. Again, thank you everyone.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-02-2014, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:28:36 +0000, bert wrote:

Basic PAYG phone are only a few quid these days.

Just get a SIM, no need for a phone provided you have one that is
unlocked. The phone providers have to provide the unlocking
code/unlock the phone once the initial contract has run out.

There are only two or three different networks.

EE (Was Orange and T-Mobile), O2, Vodafone and Three. Three might be
a 3G or 4G provider only and I'm not sure there are any resellers of
their network.

Looking at the small print of a providers contract will almost
certainly tell you which carrier they use. But for this excercise of
coverage checking just get EE, O2 and Vodafone SIMs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-02-2014, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
sacha wrote:

When I became an Orange customer 15 years ago or so, it was claimed
that it had the best coverage in this area.

I'm with EE/Orange too. They proudly open their helpline dialogues with
"Welcome to EE: the biggest mobile coverage in the UK" or words to that
effect. As far as I can tell, coverage quality has dropped since EE
took over Orange: they may be the biggest, but it seems it's spread more
thinly!

J.