Old 20-02-2014, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bumblebees

Last year somebody wrote that the bumblebee seems a harder worker than
the honeybee. I think I have to agree! Yesterday, I saw a gigantic
bumblbee working over some Lonicera purpusii by our front door and a
couple more were diligently crawling over Acacia atropurpureum in a
greenhouse. The slightest ray of sunshine and lift in temperature
seems to bring them out. It's also a welcome sign of hopefulness and
raises the spirits!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-02-2014, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-20 12:42:13 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:52:20 +0000, sacha wrote:

Last year somebody wrote that the bumblebee seems a harder worker than
the honeybee. I think I have to agree! Yesterday, I saw a gigantic
bumblbee working over some Lonicera purpusii by our front door and a
couple more were diligently crawling over Acacia atropurpureum in a
greenhouse. The slightest ray of sunshine and lift in temperature
seems to bring them out. It's also a welcome sign of hopefulness and
raises the spirits!

Agreed, but a report on the BBC suggests they're under threat from two
diseases normally associated with honey bees, Nosema and Deformed Wing
Virus (DWV). But Nosema has been around in honey bees for centuries,
so I don't see why it should suddenly be infecting bumbles. Maybe no
one has looked in detail before, which seems unlikely. Never heard of
DWV though.

More at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26242960

I've never heard of it either but the poor things seem to be
permanently under threat from something. Not least are pesticides
sprayed on field and garden.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-02-2014, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/02/2014 12:42, Chris Hogg wrote:

Agreed, but a report on the BBC suggests they're under threat from two
diseases normally associated with honey bees, Nosema and Deformed Wing
Virus (DWV). But Nosema has been around in honey bees for centuries,
so I don't see why it should suddenly be infecting bumbles. Maybe no
one has looked in detail before, which seems unlikely. Never heard of
DWV though.

More at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26242960

I'm not sure of the exact relationship, but DWV is quite closely
correlated with varroa infestations, I think.

--
regards
andy

Bumblebees Ann Lancing United Kingdom 11 15-07-2010 06:48 PM
re Bumblebees Ann Lancing United Kingdom 0 15-07-2010 08:58 AM
For anyone Interested Bumblebees in the UK phorbin Edible Gardening 0 05-06-2008 05:20 PM
Bumblebees in my house! Help! Dirk Puslich Gardening 20 10-09-2004 12:31 AM
bumblebees [email protected] Gardening 9 22-04-2003 02:32 AM