Old 01-03-2014, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Peziza

Neither my books nor a Web search helps. We have a Peziza (almost
certainly) growing in our drive, probably on conifers, with a
shining white interior and a buff exterior. Also, it cracks open,
irregularly, and is 1.5"-2.5" across.

Any ideas? I doubt that a photograph would help, not least as it
is very hard to get a good one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/03/2014 17:04, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Neither my books nor a Web search helps. We have a Peziza (almost
certainly) growing in our drive, probably on conifers, with a
shining white interior and a buff exterior. Also, it cracks open,
irregularly, and is 1.5"-2.5" across.

Any ideas? I doubt that a photograph would help, not least as it
is very hard to get a good one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Found this on Google Image. It's not the only species, but it's the one
I clicked on. Any help?

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/peziza_domiciliana.html

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-03-2014, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:
Neither my books nor a Web search helps. We have a Peziza (almost
certainly) growing in our drive, probably on conifers, with a
shining white interior and a buff exterior. Also, it cracks open,
irregularly, and is 1.5"-2.5" across.

Any ideas? I doubt that a photograph would help, not least as it
is very hard to get a good one.

Found this on Google Image. It's not the only species, but it's the one
I clicked on. Any help?

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/peziza_domiciliana.html

No, I am afraid not. Thanks, anyway. It's far more this shape:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pe..._Lindsey_1.jpg

But it cracks open almost like a Geastrum, and it is the the
inside (upper) surface that is white, the other way round from
Peziza domiciliana.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

Neither my books nor a Web search helps. We have a Peziza (almost
certainly) growing in our drive, probably on conifers, with a
shining white interior and a buff exterior. Also, it cracks open,
irregularly, and is 1.5"-2.5" across.

Any ideas? I doubt that a photograph would help, not least as it
is very hard to get a good one.

I presume you've seen this, but without getting an answer.
http://www.fieldmycology.net/GBCHKLST/key.asp?KeyID=8

Yes. Like almost all semi-professional mycological texts, you
have to START by using a microsocope. While I have one, I have
never taught myself how to use it. Actually, that page is even
worse, and the very first key is:

Spores smooth or finely longitudinally striate under light
microscope; guttules usually absent, rarely present
Spores ornamented with fine (oil immersion!) to coarse warts or
reticulum under light microscope; guttules usually present, rarely
absent

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
It's not the only species, but it's the one
I clicked on. Any help?

Peziza domiciliana (MushroomExpert.Com)
I notice that concerning another Peziza, he writes "Brown cup fungi like Peziza ammophila are notoriously difficult to identify with certainty"

Old 03-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren[_3_] View Post
Yes. Like almost all semi-professional mycological texts, you
have to START by using a microsocope. While I have one, I have
never taught myself how to use it. Actually, that page is even
worse, and the very first key is:

Spores smooth or finely longitudinally striate under light
microscope; guttules usually absent, rarely present
Spores ornamented with fine (oil immersion!) to coarse warts or
reticulum under light microscope; guttules usually present, rarely
absent

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
This key consciously delays using microscope until you have to.
Cup Fungi (MushroomExpert.Com)

But it is a north American key, is incomplete, and since Pezizas are notoriously difficult to separate....
Old 14-03-2014, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/03/14 18:13, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:
Neither my books nor a Web search helps. We have a Peziza (almost
certainly) growing in our drive, probably on conifers, with a
shining white interior and a buff exterior. Also, it cracks open,
irregularly, and is 1.5"-2.5" across.

Any ideas? I doubt that a photograph would help, not least as it
is very hard to get a good one.

Found this on Google Image. It's not the only species, but it's the one
I clicked on. Any help?

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/peziza_domiciliana.html

No, I am afraid not. Thanks, anyway. It's far more this shape:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pe..._Lindsey_1.jpg

But it cracks open almost like a Geastrum, and it is the the
inside (upper) surface that is white, the other way round from
Peziza domiciliana.

I'll get back to you next week - I can only use the intertubes when I
take the notebook to wifi ATM.

ITYF this fungus tends to grow on old straw. Don't try to eat it raw,
but I don't know anything like it that would do you any harm when cooked

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 14-03-2014, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/03/14 09:26, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

I presume you've seen this, but without getting an answer.
http://www.fieldmycology.net/GBCHKLST/key.asp?KeyID=8

Yes. Like almost all semi-professional mycological texts, you
have to START by using a microsocope. While I have one, I have
never taught myself how to use it. Actually, that page is even
worse, and the very first key is:

Spores smooth or finely longitudinally striate under light
microscope; guttules usually absent, rarely present
Spores ornamented with fine (oil immersion!) to coarse warts or
reticulum under light microscope; guttules usually present, rarely
absent

If you want to send me a spore-print (or sample of spores) I could look
at them with mine.

To be useful for mycology, you need a magnification of X 1,000 (wot I have)

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 14-03-2014, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

I presume you've seen this, but without getting an answer.
http://www.fieldmycology.net/GBCHKLST/key.asp?KeyID=8

Yes. Like almost all semi-professional mycological texts, you
have to START by using a microsocope. While I have one, I have
never taught myself how to use it. Actually, that page is even
worse, and the very first key is:

Spores smooth or finely longitudinally striate under light
microscope; guttules usually absent, rarely present
Spores ornamented with fine (oil immersion!) to coarse warts or
reticulum under light microscope; guttules usually present, rarely
absent

If you want to send me a spore-print (or sample of spores) I could look
at them with mine.

To be useful for mycology, you need a magnification of X 1,000 (wot I have)

Thanks very much. I am trying to collect one. My wife has access
to one (and more), but we have no experience at looking at fungal
spores.

That's a serious piece of kit. I estimated (and confirmed by a
search) than 400x was the bare minimum worth bothering with for
mycology, and that is WAY beyond my microsope (which, if I recall
is 40x).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.