Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sap. Interesting question.

Just clearing up after having a Copper Beech felled. Biggy. About 90 ft tall
and a trunk of about 4 feet diameter.

Question about the sap. Will the roots still be trying to 'push' the sap up
or does the tree, trunk and leaves 'pull' the sap up.

Sap, is it 'pushed' or 'pulled'?

(I know I have a great bonfire which has been in for nearly a week and that
is just the twiggy branches and saw dust ....:-))

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

Old 03-03-2014, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/03/2014 08:48, 'Mike' wrote:

Just clearing up after having a Copper Beech felled. Biggy. About 90 ft
tall and a trunk of about 4 feet diameter.

Question about the sap. Will the roots still be trying to 'push' the sap
up or does the tree, trunk and leaves 'pull' the sap up.

Sap, is it 'pushed' or 'pulled'?

Both. At least for a while. It may well try to regrow from the stump.

Pulled by capillary action of narrow tubes of the xylem and pushed up by
the roots in return for sugar flowing the other way down the phloem.

One of the plants with the highest known internal sap pressure is the
dangerous toxic succulent euphorbia virosa (and close relatives). It can
throw fine threads of blinding caustic sap several feet when damaged.
You wear eye protection when handling it or working nearby.

ISTR an Italian tank brigade got into serious trouble after driving into
a grove of the stuff. It is one of the more fearsome plants.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 04-03-2014, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message ...

On 02/03/2014 08:48, 'Mike' wrote:

Just clearing up after having a Copper Beech felled. Biggy. About 90 ft
tall and a trunk of about 4 feet diameter.

Question about the sap. Will the roots still be trying to 'push' the sap
up or does the tree, trunk and leaves 'pull' the sap up.

Sap, is it 'pushed' or 'pulled'?

Both. At least for a while. It may well try to regrow from the stump.

Pulled by capillary action of narrow tubes of the xylem and pushed up by
the roots in return for sugar flowing the other way down the phloem.

Very many thanks Martin. And to Sue who emailed me :-)

Mike

Old 05-03-2014, 05:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, 2 March 2014 16:48:42 UTC+8, 'Mike' wrote:
Just clearing up after having a Copper Beech felled. Biggy. About 90 ft tall

and a trunk of about 4 feet diameter.

Question about the sap. Will the roots still be trying to 'push' the sap up

or does the tree, trunk and leaves 'pull' the sap up.

Sap, is it 'pushed' or 'pulled'?

(I know I have a great bonfire which has been in for nearly a week and that

is just the twiggy branches and saw dust ....:-))

Have a look at this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiiFMRYUEQM It throws up some interesting aspects of the whole process.

Graeme
Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message

On Sunday, 2 March 2014 16:48:42 UTC+8, 'Mike' wrote:
Just clearing up after having a Copper Beech felled. Biggy. About 90 ft
tall

and a trunk of about 4 feet diameter.

Question about the sap. Will the roots still be trying to 'push' the sap
up

or does the tree, trunk and leaves 'pull' the sap up.

Sap, is it 'pushed' or 'pulled'?

(I know I have a great bonfire which has been in for nearly a week and
that

is just the twiggy branches and saw dust ....:-))

Have a look at this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiiFMRYUEQM It throws
up some interesting aspects of the whole process.

Graeme

Thanks for that Grahame. As I understand it .......................

Actually I don't quite. I need to study that a few times ..... and then
study it again!!

But I am glad I asked the question!!

Mike

Old 05-03-2014, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

Have a look at this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiiFMRYUEQM It throws
up some interesting aspects of the whole process.

Graeme

Thanks for that Grahame. As I understand it .......................

My apologies, incorrect Graeme.

Mike

Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, 5 March 2014 15:54:15 UTC+8, 'Mike' wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote in message ....

Have a look at this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiiFMRYUEQM It throws

up some interesting aspects of the whole process.

Graeme

Thanks for that Grahame. As I understand it .......................

My apologies, incorrect Graeme.

Not a problem. I'm used to having both my first and last names misspelled anyway. It might come in handy one day, i.e. this legal document isn't referring to me (cf. the spate of fluffed extradition requests for IRA suspects in the '80s thanks to the inability to spell Irish names correctly)

Graeme

Tree sap question Broadback United Kingdom 29 29-02-2008 04:37 PM
Ficus sap. Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 30-09-2003 03:02 PM
Looking for help identifying a tree, and methods to control sap (if possible) Dennis Forbes Gardening 12 12-09-2003 08:12 PM
Looking for help identifying a tree, and methods to control sap (if possible) Dennis Forbes Plant Science 14 10-09-2003 10:03 PM
Taxonomic ID help for tree found on Oahu; bark: tan,rough,lite fuzz leaves: elongate Sap:blood red Alexsandyr Troutnoodler Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:28 PM