Old 09-03-2014, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is it?

I was in an Asian shop yesterday and came across a veg I've never seen
before, stems around 2 1/2 ft long as thick as my thumb, bunch of leaves
at the top.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps19783ca4.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps366050a4.jpg
The lad in charge didn't know it's name, but you peal and cook the stem,
and can use the leaves like spinach.
Unfortunately when I wasn't looking he folded it to get it into the bag
and snapped the stem in half.
Needless to say I am going to try to grow it.
They also had beans
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps96287fb4.jpg

I don't expect I will get a viable bean from the pod.
David @ an almost tropical side of Swansea Bay
Old 09-03-2014, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

I was in an Asian shop yesterday and came across a veg I've never seen
before, stems around 2 1/2 ft long as thick as my thumb, bunch of leaves at
the top.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps19783ca4.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps366050a4.jpg
The lad in charge didn't know it's name, but you peal and cook the stem,
and can use the leaves like spinach.
Unfortunately when I wasn't looking he folded it to get it into the bag and
snapped the stem in half.
Needless to say I am going to try to grow it.
They also had beans
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps96287fb4.jpg
I don't expect I will get a viable bean from the pod.

That "cabbage" plant look remarkably like the plants one of our Asian
neighbours used to grow, she called it saag (there are lots).
http://www.examiner.com/article/comm...ilable-phoenix
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"David Hill" wrote

[...]

Here are 14 types of saag, there are more .......... do any of the names
ring a bell?
Bandha kopi
begoon
enchor
gajar
jhingey
kanch kala
khosha
kochu
korola, ucchey
kumro
lau
matarshuti
mocha
moolo
neem pata
ole
paan
palang saag
phulkopi
piaj
piaj koli
potol
ranga alu
saag
salgam
shosha
sheem
sorshey saag
thor kele-ki-tana

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 09-03-2014, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/03/2014 18:40, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"David Hill" wrote

[...]

As said the lad in charge of the shop had no idea, he just said they
were a vegetable.
I wonder if they are a form of Kale