Old 08-08-2014, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner Bean Frame.

"Judith in England" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 16:25:30 +0100, "philgurr"
wrote:

"Judith" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 2 Apr 2014 10:51:55 +0100, "T Bentley"
wrote:

This year (having given it extraordinary thought) I intend to cross
my canes just 4 feet above the ground, so that the top of the cane
hangs outward. Advantages are that the horizontal cane can be
tied in at a comfortable height for someone of advanced years and
the beans should hang down in full view. Disadvantages are that
the plants will require more guidance in their twining and there may
be less humidity round the plants (not that this will matter in the
North of Scotland!) - time will tell

Ardmhor
Northern Highlands of Scotland

How did things go?

Looking good, but the first beans are still only 6" long.
The structure has been remarkably stable in the wind
that we get here.

Ardmhor

Old 10-08-2014, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

This year (having given it extraordinary thought) I intend to cross
my canes just 4 feet above the ground, so that the top of the cane
hangs outward. Advantages are that the horizontal cane can be
tied in at a comfortable height for someone of advanced years and
the beans should hang down in full view. Disadvantages are that
the plants will require more guidance in their twining and there may
be less humidity round the plants (not that this will matter in the
North of Scotland!) - time will tell

Ardmhor
Northern Highlands of Scotland

How did things go?

Looking good, but the first beans are still only 6" long.
The structure has been remarkably stable in the wind
that we get here.

Ardmhor

I recall a friend in Aberdeen a few years back - we were both growing
runner-beans.
End of June/early July I told him mine were coming on nicely - how were his?

He said the frost had just got them !!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Judith in England" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 16:25:30 +0100, "philgurr"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

We've been quite near a frost in the last week (+2.2 or 36.5 for David) but
the beans haven't sufered. Waiting to see how well the frame holds up for
tomorow's wind. The frame seems quite successful but there is a little more
labour involved in making sure that the plants follow the right stick!

Ardmhor
40 miles north of Inverness

Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/08/2014 22:40, philgurr wrote:
We've been quite near a frost in the last week (+2.2 or 36.5 for David)

Thanks.

They will climb the left cane as well as the right one, They don't care
which.
David
Old 10-08-2014, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 10/08/2014 22:40, philgurr wrote:
We've been quite near a frost in the last week (+2.2 or 36.5 for David)

Thanks.

They will climb the left cane as well as the right one, They don't care which.
David

There is no point in having two go up one branch and none on the other!

Ardmhor