Old 31-05-2014, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jonathan Dimblebys knotweed advice

In article ,
says...

My garden has a patch of knotweed. It looks quite nice and never
spreads beyond the fence.

Description doesn't sound like knotweed :-)

Janet
Old 01-06-2014, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 May 2014 23:12:31 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

My garden has a patch of knotweed. It looks quite nice and never
spreads beyond the fence.

Description doesn't sound like knotweed :-)

Janet

It looks just like knotweed especially the rigid hollow stems and
bunches of white flowers that come later in the year.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 03-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Hi

I was surprised by some advice in this weeks Spectator page 20 from the
broadcaster Jonathan Dimbleby:

"Beware of knotweed conmen. You don't need smoothies in Range Rovers,
white boiler suits and goggles who charge more than your house is worth
to get rid of the stuff. The weedkiller Roundup does just as well for a
fraction of the price."

Can this really be true?? I have always heard that it's nearly impossible
to get rid of!

Kate xx
Has anyone on here actually tried it? I've never heard of it actually working...

--

Japanese Knotweed Removal - Environmental Agency | environmental issues | environmental science
Old 03-06-2014, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/06/2014 16:08, Phlorum wrote:

Kate;1002682 Wrote:
Hi

I was surprised by some advice in this weeks Spectator page 20 from the

broadcaster Jonathan Dimbleby:

"Beware of knotweed conmen. You don't need smoothies in Range Rovers,
white boiler suits and goggles who charge more than your house is worth

to get rid of the stuff. The weedkiller Roundup does just as well for a

fraction of the price."

Can this really be true?? I have always heard that it's nearly
impossible
to get rid of!

Has anyone on here actually tried it? I've never heard of it actually
working...

Yes. I cleared an overgrown back garden over two years. I attacked the
problem in late summer early autumn by lopping the tops off and
pouring a little glyphosate solution into the cut stems. Almost all
the crowns were dead next year and those that put up some growth
succumbed when I sprayed them when I expanded the treated area next year.

Of course the real problem is getting rid of it _all_ which can be a
problem if it comes from over the fence.
--
Phil Cook
Old 03-06-2014, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Cook" wrote

Kate;1002682 Wrote:
[...]

The Governments view on JKW (and others) is here...

https://www.gov.uk/japanese-knotweed...nvasive-plants

The bit about not allowing it to escape your property covers your problem.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Phlorum

Yes round up works and works well, but you will need more than one season,
the worst thing you can do is try and dig anywhere near it as it causes the
root system to sucker and run even more than normal.

The main snag is that you are going to kill a lot of surrounding vegetation
if spraying, so the rather more laborious cut and squirt down hollow stems
method is a better bet for gardens.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 04-06-2014, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/05/2014 19:56, Kate wrote:
Hi

I was surprised by some advice in this weeks Spectator page 20 from the
broadcaster Jonathan Dimbleby:

"Beware of knotweed conmen. You don't need smoothies in Range Rovers,
white boiler suits and goggles who charge more than your house is worth
to get rid of the stuff. The weedkiller Roundup does just as well for a
fraction of the price."

Can this really be true?? I have always heard that it's nearly impossible
to get rid of!

Kate xx

Just surprised no one has linked to the RHS advice on Jap. Knotweed
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=218
Old 04-06-2014, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 30/05/2014 19:56, Kate wrote:
Hi

I was surprised by some advice in this weeks Spectator page 20 from the
broadcaster Jonathan Dimbleby:

"Beware of knotweed conmen. You don't need smoothies in Range Rovers,
white boiler suits and goggles who charge more than your house is worth
to get rid of the stuff. The weedkiller Roundup does just as well for a
fraction of the price."

Can this really be true?? I have always heard that it's nearly impossible
to get rid of!

Kate xx

Just surprised no one has linked to the RHS advice on Jap. Knotweed
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=218

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese deal with knotweed effectively without poison or digging, and in
the same way deal effectively with bamboo; another plant people have trouble
with if it starts spreading.

The way is all down to watching the calendar and having patience.

For some reason the plant gives up psychologically and physically if
*young* shoots' are attacked.

Cut everything down and wait for the young shoots to come up, then cut them
down; a week or two later cut down the new shoots and a week or two later
again cut down the young shoots. All young shoots must be dealt with, but
they become less and less.

For some reason these plants 'just give up' if you deter the *new* shoots.
Japanese children pick the young shoots when they are about 10 cm in length,
peel them and eat them. This regular attendance has long been known to kill
the plant.

This effective method requires someone to keep coming back to deal with
young shoots. It's simple, but requires timing and perseverance.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2014 22:46, T Blake wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
On 30/05/2014 19:56, Kate wrote:
[...]

That is very interesting but patience is not something one associates
with local councils
Old 05-06-2014, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 30/05/2014 19:56, Kate wrote:
[...]

I think that most people don't realise that the young shoots have been
used as a food stuff for many years.
The young, Spring shoots can be cooked and eaten after peeling to reveal
the white core. They have a mild rhubarb flavour, due to the presence of
oxalic acid (hence some of the common names)
Donkey rhubarb, Gypsy rhubarb, Japanese bamboo, Mexican bamboo, Sally
rhubarb

Old 29-08-2014, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Swansea University scientists trial knotweed killers

Swansea University scientists are conducting the largest field trial in Europe to find new ways of killing Japanese knotweed.

The plant is one of the most damaging species in the UK and costs £8m a year to bring it under control in Wales.

Carwyn Jones has been finding out more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28975734
Old 29-08-2014, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/08/2014 11:28, Tom Gardner wrote:
Swansea University scientists trial knotweed killers

Swansea University scientists are conducting the largest field trial in
Europe to find new ways of killing Japanese knotweed.

The plant is one of the most damaging species in the UK and costs £8m a
year to bring it under control in Wales.

Carwyn Jones has been finding out more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28975734

Where I've seen it on public land the problem appears to be that the
authorities can't adopt a little and often strategy. They prefer the
annual blitz, which appears to be the least successful method.
Old 29-08-2014, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/08/2014 14:16, stuart noble wrote:
On 29/08/2014 11:28, Tom Gardner wrote:
Swansea University scientists trial knotweed killers

Swansea University scientists are conducting the largest field trial in
Europe to find new ways of killing Japanese knotweed.

Introducing the specific Japanese parasite of knotweed and hoping that
it doesn't do a cane toad on us would be one way.

The plant is one of the most damaging species in the UK and costs £8m a
year to bring it under control in Wales.

Carwyn Jones has been finding out more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28975734

Where I've seen it on public land the problem appears to be that the
authorities can't adopt a little and often strategy. They prefer the
annual blitz, which appears to be the least successful method.

Whenever this comes up I am reminded that in my youth we played in a
garden of the local "big house" which then in addition to a dangerous
limestone grotto had fairly rampant Japanese knotweed growing as an
ornamental. It would expand to fill the available space but from memory
it could not compete with horsechestnut trees or rhodedenrons at all.

Even the local brand of rose bay willow herb could out compete it on the
margins. It makes me wonder if there is some super strain that got
completely out of hand and has become the scary plant of tabloid
headlines or is it all hysterical hyperbole.

Buddleia seems set to take up the nuisance plant mantle next...

Or maybe Japanese knotweed isn't quite the bunker busting super weed
that legend would have you believe. Ground elder is pretty annoying too.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 29-08-2014, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 29/08/2014 14:16, stuart noble wrote:
On 29/08/2014 11:28, Tom Gardner wrote:
Swansea University scientists trial knotweed killers

Swansea University scientists are conducting the largest field trial in
Europe to find new ways of killing Japanese knotweed.

Introducing the specific Japanese parasite of knotweed and hoping that
it doesn't do a cane toad on us would be one way.

They are checking that out very carefully.

[...]

It isn't ALL hysterical hyperbole. Japanese knotweed needs ample
water and light, and will eliminate all other plants from damp,
open locations. However, under shade and in drier conditions,
it will do no more than survive. The reason that it's said to
be Public Enemy Number One is that such locations are restricted,
and there are a lot of other plants that need the same conditions
that are already threatened by habitat loss.

Amusingly enough, buddleia will do the same in extremely well-
drained locations (e.g. old walls), but there is no 'native' plant
adapted to solely that habitat. Indeed, it often invades in
locations where no other plant will establish itself! So that's
not an ecological problem (in the UK), though it's a pain in the
neck for Network Rail ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-08-2014, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/08/2014 20:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Yes, it makes the journey into London a little more interesting. And I
guess it brings the butterflies with it