Old 17-07-2014, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hellebore leaves, repost.

I'm reposting this as I had no replies last time.
I'd be grateful for any advice please.

I always cut off the big hellebore leaves in winter, but the plants
are spreading and the leaves are bigger than ever after the wet, mild
winter.
I would like to cut off a lot now to make room to interplant. Any
opinions on how it will affect
next Spring's growth or shall I just give it a try?
I have such a small garden, a lot of hellebores, and plants with
nowhere to go!

Pam near Bristol
Old 21-07-2014, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 10:32:06 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:22:38 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

I'm reposting this as I had no replies last time.
I'd be grateful for any advice please.

I always cut off the big hellebore leaves in winter, but the plants
are spreading and the leaves are bigger than ever after the wet, mild
winter.
I would like to cut off a lot now to make room to interplant. Any
opinions on how it will affect
next Spring's growth or shall I just give it a try?
I have such a small garden, a lot of hellebores, and plants with
nowhere to go!

Pam near Bristol

I have a fair number of hellebores. I used to dislike them (a lot!),
especially the older varieties, but I find the new dark purples really
attractive. I don't usually take the old leaves off, more because I
don't have the time than because I think it's a bad thing to do. But
if I were a bit more tidy-minded, I would take them off when they
start to go brown, on the basis that they're no longer doing anything
for the plant and just look untidy.

Thaks Chris
Some of the leaves have had the chop anyway!
It's now an experiment!