Old 17-07-2014, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A weedkiller that kills clover but not grass?

Hi all,

I purchased what I thought was some "Eco-Lawn" grass seed to match my
existing EcoLawn-seeded lawn. Unfortunately, I think the second batch was
bogus. EcoLawn seed is supposed to contain microclover (a strain of clover
with smaller leaves than the common clover). This 2nd batch had normal
clover in it, with large leaves, so the resulting lawn doesn;t match the
older section. The grass appears the same but not the clover. So I'd like
to kill off most of the clover so that the new section of lawn matches the
old section better.

Can anyone suggest a weedkiller that kills clover but not grass?

Many thanks,

Al
Old 17-07-2014, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/07/14 15:42, AL_n wrote:
Hi all,

I purchased what I thought was some "Eco-Lawn" grass seed to match my
existing EcoLawn-seeded lawn. Unfortunately, I think the second batch was
bogus. EcoLawn seed is supposed to contain microclover (a strain of clover
with smaller leaves than the common clover). This 2nd batch had normal
clover in it, with large leaves, so the resulting lawn doesn;t match the
older section. The grass appears the same but not the clover. So I'd like
to kill off most of the clover so that the new section of lawn matches the
old section better.

Can anyone suggest a weedkiller that kills clover but not grass?

A standard selective lawn weedkiler?

Old 19-07-2014, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"pied piper" wrote in
:

Clovertox

Thank to all for the suggestions.

Al
Old 19-07-2014, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote in
news
Any of the modern selective lawn weedkillers should do; Verdone Extra
or Resolva come to mind. If you've got a large patch to treat, you'll
find it cheaper to get concentrate and dilute it yourself, rather than
a hand spray of pre-diluted stuff. Clover may not totally succumb at
the first application, but two goes should see it off. EG:
http://www.agratech.co.uk/Verdone-Ex...eedkiller.html
http://www.resolva-weeds.com/product...wn-weedkiller/

If you want to be sure of getting the same type of clover as in the
original part of the lawn, do what I did and use a bulb planter to
extract plugs from areas containing the right sort of clover, and
transplant them into the clover-free parts. Use the plugs from the
clover-free parts to back-fill the holes in the original part. I
suppose you could just cut turves with a spade, but make sure the
planting holes match the turves for size. Clover spreads quite
quickly, and in a year or two the two parts should be
indistinguishable. But that depends to some extent on how many plugs
you exchange. The more, the faster the two parts will match up.

Some great suggestions there - thank you.

Al

Old 19-07-2014, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/07/2014 14:03, AL_n wrote:
"pied piper" wrote in
:

Clovertox

Thank to all for the suggestions.

Al

If you are going to go down the root of planting plugs of your existing
clover then I would be inclined to try growing a batch in cell trays so
that when they are ready to plant the effects of the weed killer have
worn off, or better grow them on in trays and plant in the spring.