Old 23-07-2014, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Salvia blight?

"FrankB" wrote in message news:...
I've been growing a Salvia 'Patens' in a 2L pot and it was doing fine

until
the last 2 weeks some worrying dark brown spots and blotches have started

appear on the leaves, young and old. Any ideas?

Old 23-07-2014, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-23 15:03:18 +0000, FrankB said:

"FrankB" wrote in message news:...
I've been growing a Salvia 'Patens' in a 2L pot and it was doing fine

until
the last 2 weeks some worrying dark brown spots and blotches have started

appear on the leaves, young and old. Any ideas?

Are you keeping it pretty dry and watering only when necessary? Let it
drain between watering, too and don't let the leaves get splashed with
water through which sunlight can burn them.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-07-2014, 01:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-23 15:03:18 +0000, FrankB said:

"FrankB" wrote in message news:...
I've been growing a Salvia 'Patens' in a 2L pot and it was doing fine

until
the last 2 weeks some worrying dark brown spots and blotches have

started
appear on the leaves, young and old. Any ideas?

Are you keeping it pretty dry and watering only when necessary? Let it
drain between watering, too and don't let the leaves get splashed with
water through which sunlight can burn them.

Hi Sacha.

I have 2 photos of the problem.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120747...ostream/lightb
ox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120747...ostream/lightb
ox/

As regards watering I rang up a nursery today where a guy who seemed to know
about Salvias told me that this problem may arise if they are not watered
enough and that I should not let them get dry in the pot. I originally
suspected it was a fungal problem, but he didn't think so and I can see
nothing on the web that suggests that Salvias are affected by fungal
diseases..I've ruled out siun scorch as some of the leaves higher up the
plant have started to show symptoms whereas I always water with the nozzle
of my can close to the soil surface, so upper leaves don't get splashed.

Old 24-07-2014, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-23 15:03:18 +0000, FrankB said:

[...]

I showed your photo to Ray and he agrees with your nurseryman that,
unlike most (!) you've let them get too dry but repeats that you
shouldn't over-water and let them drain between waterings. We have a
large Salvia leucantha Santa Barbara and a Salvia guaranitica in two
separate pots and they get a splash once a day. There's a fine balance
between giving them sufficient water and killing them with too much in
this hot weather. Our pots are terracotta and very tall sort of Ali
Baba shaped things. We can see from the outside roughly where the damp
level is. But if you're using plastic pots, as yours seem to be, it
would be a good idea to raise them a little to let the water drain
freely, just to make sure your watering regime doesn't go too far the
other way.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-07-2014, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-23 15:03:18 +0000, FrankB said:

[...]

Yes, it is in a 2L plastic pot. The pot is resting on potting compost so
presumably any excess water will drain away into that.

I've picked off all the affected leaves which is about half those on the
plant. It continues to make new flower spikes and the vigour of the plant is
encouraging. I did give it a tomato feed about 2 weeks ago and it may just
be a coincidence but that's when the symptoms first started to appear. By
the way I'm getting lots of seed from spent flowers. Do you know if Salvia
Patens comes true from seed?

Old 28-07-2014, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-23 15:03:18 +0000, FrankB said:

[...]

No, the compost will get wet and be soaked up by the compost in the
pot. A lot of people don't agree with putting e.g. gravel or stones in
the bottom of a pot for the same reason. It would be better to get
some of those little things called 'frogs' on which you can balance a
pot, or just raise it on a couple of bricks. Plastic pots don't dry out
quite as quickly as terracotta ones, ime.

I've picked off all the affected leaves which is about half those on the
plant. It continues to make new flower spikes and the vigour of the plant is
encouraging. I did give it a tomato feed about 2 weeks ago and it may just
be a coincidence but that's when the symptoms first started to appear. By
the way I'm getting lots of seed from spent flowers. Do you know if Salvia
Patens comes true from seed?

It should do if it's the species. Start it off indoors or in a greenhouse.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-08-2014, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-24 00:58:12 +0000, FrankB said:

On 2014-07-23 15:03:18 +0000, FrankB said:

[...]

My Salvia gauranitica - bought from you ten years or so ago Sacha, is in the open ground (east coast sand), full sun and gets no watering and doesn't seem to mind at all. I have never brought it in over winter and though it looked very poorly during that wet summer we had, it survived five inches of snow for two weeks and then the following winter minus five for a couple of weeks. Tougher than it looks if given drainage I think.

Karen
Old 03-08-2014, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-24 00:58:12 +0000, FrankB said:

On 2014-07-23 15:03:18 +0000, FrankB said:

[...]

Well!! How really good to see you! I hope all is going very, very well
for you. Please email me, if you'd like to at the Nursery,
I'd love to hear what's been going on,
how you are etc. But back to basics and yes, S. guaranitica is one of
the toughest, probably the toughest, though we have brought the tender
S. leucantha Santa Barbara through 3 winters here. But it's in a stony
raised wall and the balmy South Hams! I'm so delighted to see you
again, Karen. Last time we met was here when we had an urg meet and you
reassured me that a wasp sting was not going to kill me, as a bee sting
might well have done. The wasp went its way unworried and so - more or
less, did I !
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com