Old 13-08-2014, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kew Gardens - Radio 4 - Tree Roots

An interesting programme on Radio 4 today. It concerned the subject of tree
root systems. (Plants from roots to riches).

Here is my memory of the programme - but I suggest that anyone really
interested listens to it on Iplayer as my recollection may not be 100% correct.

In the very high winds and storms of 1987 a particular oak tree at Kew was
totally lifted from the ground (including the root system) - but then it
dropped back in to the hole! (The tree had been planted in the 1700s). The
condition of the tree prior to the storms was causing some concern : thinning
crown, dead wood, and poor leaf growth

It took Kew three years to sort out the damage to the other trees from the
storms and the particular tree was left until the end in order to decide what
to do with it.

The staff were very surprised to find that the tree was now in much better
condition than what it had been before it was uprooted.

They concluded that the number of visitors had compacted he earth over the
years, over the root system - and that was what has caused the tree to be less
than perfect with little or no growth. They also checked various research and
were actually surprised to realise that the majority of tree roots tend to be
only between 1m and 2m deep (a fairly unknown fact) - and that hence all the
compaction had caused significant distress to the tree roots.

They embarked on a change of policy - and started to aerate the roots of their
trees - forcing compressed nitrogen (later air) in to the roots to a depth of
about a metre. They also forced water and various feeds in to the root system.

The results were astounding. They now use a modified process of forcing
compressed air in to the root systems of all of their trees.

I must admit I was gobsmacked with the comments about the depth of the root
systems: I always thought that the main root system were much deeper than one
or two meters.

I have since found a page which explains the process in more detail than my
poor memory:

http://www.forestryjournal.co.uk/new...9/Iss27Kew.pdf

Old 14-08-2014, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote ...

[...]

I too didn't realise the shallowness of the root systems until that storm.

Unfortunately I was "Coach Marshall" on a coach that had to get to a "do" in
Kent early the day after that storm and seeing all those trees large and
small of all types blown over with the root plate vertical made me realise
how shallow most of the roots are, indeed you can still see the remnants of
those blown over trees even now in the woods in Kent and E Sussex as you
drive around.
If only they had been able to right those trees they probably would have
survived and in better health.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-08-2014, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in England wrote:

I must admit I was gobsmacked with the comments about the depth of the root
systems: I always thought that the main root system were much deeper than one
or two meters.

If you've ever pulled trees out with a tractor or seen fallen trees
that have pulled up their roots then it's very obvious. The roots on
big trees *spread* but don't go very deep, there's nothing down there
for the tree to 'feed' on.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 14-08-2014, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Judith in England wrote:

They concluded that the number of visitors had compacted he earth over the
years, over the root system - and that was what has caused the tree to be less
than perfect with little or no growth. They also checked various research and
were actually surprised to realise that the majority of tree roots tend to be
only between 1m and 2m deep (a fairly unknown fact) - and that hence all the
compaction had caused significant distress to the tree roots.

Actually, it's been well-known for a very long time - as has the
fact that the feeding roots tend to be the shallower ones. The
deep roots tend to be more for anchorage and water. Of course,
on low-lying (clayey?) ground, there are often/usually very few
deep roots.

You can easily see that when you pass blown-over trees - very
often, there are no major roots below HALF a metre!

They embarked on a change of policy - and started to aerate the roots of their
trees - forcing compressed nitrogen (later air) in to the roots to a depth of
about a metre. They also forced water and various feeds in to the root system.

The results were astounding. They now use a modified process of forcing
compressed air in to the root systems of all of their trees.

Now, that I didn't know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-08-2014, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:
Judith in England wrote:

I must admit I was gobsmacked with the comments about the depth of the root
systems: I always thought that the main root system were much deeper than one
or two meters.

If you've ever pulled trees out with a tractor or seen fallen trees
that have pulled up their roots then it's very obvious. The roots on
big trees *spread* but don't go very deep, there's nothing down there
for the tree to 'feed' on.

There are sometimes a few large, deep roots, but only for certain
species of tree under certain conditions. But, as I said, I am
pretty sure that those are only for anchorage and/or getting
water. The available nutrients are, as you say, usually almost
entirely in the top foot or two.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-08-2014, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/08/2014 11:18, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , wrote:
Judith in England wrote:

I must admit I was gobsmacked with the comments about the depth of the root
systems: I always thought that the main root system were much deeper than one
or two meters.

If you've ever pulled trees out with a tractor or seen fallen trees
that have pulled up their roots then it's very obvious. The roots on
big trees *spread* but don't go very deep, there's nothing down there
for the tree to 'feed' on.

There are sometimes a few large, deep roots, but only for certain
species of tree under certain conditions. But, as I said, I am
pretty sure that those are only for anchorage and/or getting
water. The available nutrients are, as you say, usually almost
entirely in the top foot or two.

Eucalyptus are usually regarded as fairly shallow-rooted species, but
some species go very deep in search of water (see figs 2 and 3):
http://www.hermonslade.org.au/projec.../hsf_11_1.html

--

Jeff
Old 14-08-2014, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-08-14 12:18:14 +0000, Jeff Layman said:
snip
Eucalyptus are usually regarded as fairly shallow-rooted species, but
some species go very deep in search of water (see figs 2 and 3):
http://www.hermonslade.org.au/projec.../hsf_11_1.html

I remember seeing large numbers of Eucs in Turkey, planted specifically
to soak up water. It was a long time ago and if I ever knew the type,
I've forgotten it. I do remember being intrigued as I'd always thought
Eucalyptus were trees that needed a little water, so using them as
sponges was a new idea to me.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-08-2014, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-08-14 12:18:14 +0000, Jeff Layman said:
snip
Eucalyptus are usually regarded as fairly shallow-rooted species, but
some species go very deep in search of water (see figs 2 and 3):
http://www.hermonslade.org.au/projec.../hsf_11_1.html

I remember seeing large numbers of Eucs in Turkey, planted specifically
to soak up water. It was a long time ago and if I ever knew the type,
I've forgotten it. I do remember being intrigued as I'd always thought
Eucalyptus were trees that needed a little water, so using them as
sponges was a new idea to me.

Salt-tolerant eucalypts are also used to lower the water table in areas
where there is a high salt level. This can allow salt-intolerant plants
to grow in areas of low rainfall - it's the salt which kills these
plants, not the often drought-like conditions.

--

Jeff
Old 14-08-2014, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-08-14 12:18:14 +0000, Jeff Layman said:
snip
Eucalyptus are usually regarded as fairly shallow-rooted species, but
some species go very deep in search of water (see figs 2 and 3):
http://www.hermonslade.org.au/projec.../hsf_11_1.html

I remember seeing large numbers of Eucs in Turkey, planted specifically
to soak up water. It was a long time ago and if I ever knew the type,
I've forgotten it. I do remember being intrigued as I'd always thought
Eucalyptus were trees that needed a little water, so using them as
sponges was a new idea to me.

Salt-tolerant eucalypts are also used to lower the water table in areas
where there is a high salt level. This can allow salt-intolerant
plants to grow in areas of low rainfall - it's the salt which kills
these plants, not the often drought-like conditions.

Thanks, Jeff. All I remember about this is that it was my first sailing
trip in Turkey and we were on a coach between Dalaman and Marmaris,
back when Marmaris was still a small fishing port, so around 1990, I'd
think.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Kew Gardens Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 21-02-2009 04:37 PM
Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
Kew Gardens Pictures Dustin Orchids 4 05-06-2004 04:10 PM
Japanes Knotweed at Kew Gardens ? ned United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 07:36 PM
Japanes Knotweed at Kew Gardens ? eddy United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 07:12 PM