Old 24-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Mitulove's Avatar
Registered User

Default plant id, please

A friend sent me a message asking me for an ID of this plant, but I'm on holiday and away from my books and am rather embarrassed that I can't remember what it's called off-hand. Can anyone help?

imgur: the simple image sharer

Kind thanks!
Old 24-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Mitulove's Avatar
Registered User

Hmm..been pondering--chenopodium, perhaps?
Old 25-08-2014, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/08/2014 22:31, Mitulove wrote:
A friend sent me a message asking me for an ID of this plant, but I'm on
holiday and away from my books and am rather embarrassed that I can't
remember what it's called off-hand. Can anyone help?

'imgur: the simple image sharer' (http://imgur.com/YtnbuuL)

Kind thanks!

It's not a plant that I know, but it looks like something in
Chenopodiaceae or Amaranthaceae (and might well not be in your books).
Try looking up pigweed (non-ornamental forms of Amaranthus) and see if
you can see a match (you might have to ask for better pictures).

[Don't eat plants if you're not 110% sure of identification.]

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 25-08-2014, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/08/2014 10:23, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 24/08/2014 22:31, Mitulove wrote:
A friend sent me a message asking me for an ID of this plant, but I'm on
holiday and away from my books and am rather embarrassed that I can't
remember what it's called off-hand. Can anyone help?

'imgur: the simple image sharer' (http://imgur.com/YtnbuuL)

Kind thanks!

It's not a plant that I know, but it looks like something in
Chenopodiaceae or Amaranthaceae (and might well not be in your books).
Try looking up pigweed (non-ornamental forms of Amaranthus) and see if
you can see a match (you might have to ask for better pictures).

[Don't eat plants if you're not 110% sure of identification.]

I'd go with a form of Amaranthus growing for grain, they do vary a lot
but this picture will give you some idea.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...us_viridis.jpg