Old 01-09-2014, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default !! Pics of trees for Spider

On 2014-09-01 11:43:44 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Ophelia" wrote in message

The only things I tie up are my climbers. Roses, clematis,
honeysuckle
and a broad leaf ivy. I can't remember its name

Could the ivy be Hedera colchica, or a cultivar of same?

I don't know but I will take a photo for you. It has a large leaf, not
at all like the smaller leaved ones I have in other places.

Here is a pic of my ivy.

http://tinypic.com/m/i6xuvq/3

Paddy's Pride? We have it on a wall of the house and it's a large leaf
variety.

I will take your word for it. I have no idea!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 01-09-2014, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/09/2014 12:43, Ophelia wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message

The only things I tie up are my climbers. Roses, clematis, honeysuckle
and a broad leaf ivy. I can't remember its name

Could the ivy be Hedera colchica, or a cultivar of same?

I don't know but I will take a photo for you. It has a large leaf,
not at all like the smaller leaved ones I have in other places.

Here is a pic of my ivy.

http://tinypic.com/m/i6xuvq/3

I have a nice plane green large leafed Ivy, the widest leaf I've had was
10 inches across.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

The only things I tie up are my climbers. Roses, clematis,
honeysuckle
and a broad leaf ivy. I can't remember its name

Could the ivy be Hedera colchica, or a cultivar of same?

I don't know but I will take a photo for you. It has a large leaf,
not at all like the smaller leaved ones I have in other places.

Here is a pic of my ivy.

http://tinypic.com/m/i6xuvq/3

I have a nice plane green large leafed Ivy, the widest leaf I've had was
10 inches across.

Wow! Mine is a midget in comparison) I will pop down and measure that
one in the pic ... Ok, a puny 4 1/2 inches in comparison to yours)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 01-09-2014, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/08/2014 22:37, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 31/08/2014 19:05, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 31/08/2014 00:05, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

Cotoneaster.

Gosh thanks! It is just string but I will take it all off
immediately
and keep a good eye on my dog!

Just to assure you, I took it off immediately I had stopped posting

Good. I've seen some perfectly good trees wrecked by that kind of
restriction. You may find it worth while to check all your tree and
shrub ties, to make sure they're not biting in. I check mine a couple
of times a year and even nudge my neighbours if I see a biting tree
tie. It's usually well received.

The only things I tie up are my climbers. Roses, clematis, honeysuckle
and a broad leaf ivy. I can't remember its name

Could the ivy be Hedera colchica, or a cultivar of same?

I don't know but I will take a photo for you. It has a large leaf, not
at all like the smaller leaved ones I have in other places.

Incidentally, it's quite possible to strangle roses with ties unless
you're checking/pruning them regularly. They can grow quite quickly,
especially when you're absent for a while ...

Oh dear! These have not been pruned for a very long time. To be honest
I think it has strangled itself. The bulk of it I have tied to a
trellis under a window. When I came back I never pruned it, I just
tied them in and have trained it across to go up and over the arch.

Right. Just as well I mentioned it then! It's a lovely plant, whether
grown horizontally or vertically and, although deciduous, I love both
the autumn colour and the winter framework. Just make sure that when
you prune it, you are sympathetic to that herringbone framework.
I haven't asked if you have a grasp of formative pruning?

No Not only do I not have a grasp, I've never heard of it. I am
hoping the book (when it arrives) will explain that?

It's a posh
name for pruning to (below) the bud you want the next growth to sprout
from.

Right! I do that with other stuff I have cut back. Heh I know how to
do it, I just don't know the name of it)

Great! That makes proceedings much easier.

Phew I got something right!!!!! g

Of course you did :~). You know more than you think you do, I'm sure.

You probably already do it with your roses, but you need to
understand it to shape your trees and shrubs properly.

Right! My roses are climbers and I am leaving them to do their thing
along with some other climbers, over an arch recently erected)

If recently erected, and the roses et al, recently pruned to their
situation, then all is probably well there. Some future pruning will
be inevitable, though. You will have The Book by then ... and URG,
just in case :~).

Oh Yes, thank goodness. You are a godsend) Will this book cover such
things as the climbing roses too?

Oh, indeed it does! It covers all aspects of pruning and training
roses, so you'll have a fair bit of reading to do.

I haven't pruned them at all since I
have been back. They were all over the place but I just tied them
into the rest so I would have something to train over the arch. I have
to say there is quite a thicket. They have honeysuckle growing through
them too. Hmm I don't remember planting that At least now I will
be coming up fairly regularly so it won't be left to its own devices for
several years again and the work I do now with pay off for the future.
Taming this garden is a full time job g

But you're loving every minute of it, I bet :~). Hope you've left
enough time to plant some bulbs for spring;~).

Yes, (in fact, it's probably on that Apple Scab link). You need
Bayer's Garden Systhane Fungus Fighter, the active ingredient of which
is Myclobutanil. There may be other brands on the garden centre
shelves, allowing you to compare prices. You also need to know that
Apple Scab can infect Cotoneaster, among others

Noted thank you! Can I get that any any garden centre?

You ought to be able to. Try your local gc first. Sometimes it's
worth checking Wilkinsons or the 'pound' shops first.

Thanks, will do) Incidentally, I have seen 'growmore' in the pound
shops. Will that be the same stuff I see in garden centres?

It certainly should be, or it shouldn't carry the name. Have a look on
line so you know what n-p-k proper Growmore has, and compare
prices/sizes before you check out the local cheapie.

Yikes! Most important! Before you remove any significant branches
off anything, you will need to know about 'undercutting'. This is the
technique that stops bark tearing on the underside of the branch as
you finish your cut. I'll cover that next time. Ta ra for now.

Oh heck! You don't feel like a holiday in Scotland by any chance
???? ;-)

Dinna panic, lassie, as they say up't there! :~)))

lol they do indeed)

It's all very straight forward. I will try and find a link tomorrow
to make it easier, but it's really basic common sense, truly. You
will have no trouble grasping it. You don't even have to be expert;
even just understanding it helps keep you from making mistakes.

) You are most kind))

I hope you are feeling better now. I will await your next foray into my
err busy garden))

Lucky O

Thank you, I am feeling a little better. I wake up most morning with
head pain and sometimes neuralgia/neuropathy, so I have to be used to
coping with it. Many people have worse things to worry about, so most
days I just try and get on with it. I'm just a creaky gate .. maybe I
should get a prescription for WD40!:~).

WD40 eh? LOL. Weell, whitever floats yur wee boat, hen )))) I used
to get migraine when I was much younger. So I have a bit of an idea
what you are suffering but certainly not the neuralgia/neuropathy

I am looking forward to my next foray into your garden. Quite an
adventure and remarkably good for my brain. Thank you.

Noooo thank YOU!!! You are welcome into my garden any old time you
fancy ) In fact I welcome you with open arms !!!

Ophelia

Thank you, Ophelia:~). That's truly nice of you.

Now it's time to discuss the 'undercut', so that you don't tear the bark
as your pruning cut reaches the lower side of the branch and the weight
of the part-severed branch suddenly accelerates the fall and rips the
bark as the limb descends.

Once you've identified the branch you're going to cut and, especially if
it's a long/heavy branch, it will help to follow David's advice and make
at least one cut through the length of the branch to lighten the load.
(With a mature forest tree, a tree surgeon may make several cuts before
he nears the trunk and prepares to sever the branch where it joins).
David cited 12" to 18" for the sort of work you will be doing, and
that's fine.

http://www.wikihow.com/Cut-a-Limb-from-a-Tree

So if you received that link, you should now understand how to make a
partial cut under the unwanted branch close to the site where you intend
to make your downward cut. When I'm pruning tree branches here, I
confess I try and get the undercut as close as I can to the intended
downcut, so there is no step as shown in the link. If I get it right,
then I just need to neaten up the cut with secateurs so there are no
snags. However, until you're confident that you're getting it right,
leave enough room before the 'collar' to make a second and final clean
cut with a minimal undercut as shown.

Thank goodness for the link! That's not easy to explain, but I hope
I've managed to get it over all right. You may not need to do a lot of
that heavy duty pruning, but it's important to know how to do it
correctly. Once you know it, it's just common sense followed by practice.

Right, I'm now starting to get a bit woolly-brained; I'm not sure if
I've missed a plant or a technique. I don't want to leave you high and
dry before The Book turns up, so do let me know if you've still got a
query, if if you need a clearer explanation, and I'll do my best.
Perhaps David, or another pruning geek will pop up if I've missed a
basic technique that would guide you through the pruning maze.

I'll have a quick peek at your last pic links to see if I'm receiving them.

Happy gardening!
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-09-2014, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-01 11:43:44 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Ophelia" wrote in message

The only things I tie up are my climbers. Roses, clematis,
honeysuckle
and a broad leaf ivy. I can't remember its name

Could the ivy be Hedera colchica, or a cultivar of same?

I don't know but I will take a photo for you. It has a large leaf, not
at all like the smaller leaved ones I have in other places.

Here is a pic of my ivy.

http://tinypic.com/m/i6xuvq/3

Paddy's Pride? We have it on a wall of the house and it's a large leaf
variety.

I will take your word for it. I have no idea!

Well, Hedera 'Paddy's Pride' is another name for Hedera colchica
'Sulphur Heart', and it certainly looks like yours. So I can be pleased
I got the colchica bit, and Sacha can be pleased she got the cultivar.
Under the name of 'Sulphur Heart', it is very widely available which
increases the likelihood.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-09-2014, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

It's a posh
name for pruning to (below) the bud you want the next growth to sprout
from.

Right! I do that with other stuff I have cut back. Heh I know how to
do it, I just don't know the name of it)

Great! That makes proceedings much easier.

Phew I got something right!!!!! g

Of course you did :~). You know more than you think you do, I'm sure.

Heh I wouldn't count on that))

You probably already do it with your roses, but you need to
understand it to shape your trees and shrubs properly.

Right! My roses are climbers and I am leaving them to do their thing
along with some other climbers, over an arch recently erected)

If recently erected, and the roses et al, recently pruned to their
situation, then all is probably well there. Some future pruning will
be inevitable, though. You will have The Book by then ... and URG,
just in case :~).

Oh Yes, thank goodness. You are a godsend) Will this book cover such
things as the climbing roses too?

Oh, indeed it does! It covers all aspects of pruning and training roses,
so you'll have a fair bit of reading to do.

Yes) I have been having a look)) Did you see, it has arrived!!!! )))
Gosh it is a super book btw. Thank you for the recommendation

I haven't pruned them at all since I
have been back. They were all over the place but I just tied them
into the rest so I would have something to train over the arch. I have
to say there is quite a thicket. They have honeysuckle growing through
them too. Hmm I don't remember planting that At least now I will
be coming up fairly regularly so it won't be left to its own devices for
several years again and the work I do now with pay off for the future.
Taming this garden is a full time job g

But you're loving every minute of it, I bet :~). Hope you've left enough
time to plant some bulbs for spring;~).

??? I hadn't even thought about those!!! Do I still have time???

Thanks, will do) Incidentally, I have seen 'growmore' in the pound
shops. Will that be the same stuff I see in garden centres?

It certainly should be, or it shouldn't carry the name. Have a look on
line so you know what n-p-k proper Growmore has, and compare prices/sizes
before you check out the local cheapie.

I will do that! Thank you err what is n-p-k please?

Oh heck! You don't feel like a holiday in Scotland by any chance
???? ;-)

Dinna panic, lassie, as they say up't there! :~)))

lol they do indeed)

I am looking forward to my next foray into your garden. Quite an
adventure and remarkably good for my brain. Thank you.

Noooo thank YOU!!! You are welcome into my garden any old time you
fancy ) In fact I welcome you with open arms !!!

Ophelia

Thank you, Ophelia:~). That's truly nice of you.

It would be even nicer for me if you actually turned up ... ;-) Gosh,
imagine me having all that knowledge under my roof!! heh you might get no
peace))

Now it's time to discuss the 'undercut', so that you don't tear the bark
as your pruning cut reaches the lower side of the branch and the weight of
the part-severed branch suddenly accelerates the fall and rips the bark as
the limb descends.

Ahhhh!! yes, that makes sense! If the bark were ripped like that, could it
kill the tree? Could it not repair itself?

[...]

Yes! Thank you! As you know I am saving all your posts along with the
links you have provided, so I can refer back.

Right, I'm now starting to get a bit woolly-brained; I'm not sure if I've
missed a plant or a technique. I don't want to leave you high and dry
before The Book turns up, so do let me know if you've still got a query,
if if you need a clearer explanation, and I'll do my best. Perhaps David,
or another pruning geek will pop up if I've missed a basic technique that
would guide you through the pruning maze.

I'll have a quick peek at your last pic links to see if I'm receiving
them.

Happy gardening!

Thank you so much for all your time and trouble I am very grateful and I
have learned so much already from your kind posts and explanations.

If I am allowed, I doubt you have heard the last from me ;-)

Be well and enjoy your own garden Heh you might even get the time
now)))

Best always

Ophelia

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-01 11:43:44 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

Probably) Does it require any special attention or is it easy to take
care of. It seems to have done ok left to its own devices so far)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

My only addition to Spiders advice would be
If you have a lot of heavy pruning to do spread it out over a couple of
years or so.
It's the same as when you have to cut a hedge back really hard the
advice is always cut one side one year and the other the following year.
David
Old 01-09-2014, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message

My only addition to Spiders advice would be
If you have a lot of heavy pruning to do spread it out over a couple of
years or so.

Really??? I am very pleased you told me that! I would almost certainly
have lumbered in and chopped them down

It's the same as when you have to cut a hedge back really hard the advice
is always cut one side one year and the other the following year.

Thank you very much, David!

I will be starting on the roses first. They have stopped flowering, when
would you suggest I made a start? Boy that is going to be fun I tied in
all the long branches. I described it earlier as a thicket. I do not
exaggerate.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 01-09-2014, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message

My only addition to Spiders advice would be
If you have a lot of heavy pruning to do spread it out over a couple of
years or so.

Really??? I am very pleased you told me that! I would almost certainly
have lumbered in and chopped them down

It's the same as when you have to cut a hedge back really hard the advice
is always cut one side one year and the other the following year.

Thank you very much, David!

There is an exception to the above. If you are pruning natural
deciduous shrubs (i.e. ones that produce multiple stems and go
back to bare stems in winter), you can cut them right down - just
not too often! That is what coppicing is, after all .... Similarly,
pruning plants that both naturally shoot from old wood and lose all
leaves in winter, you can cut them right back - again, not too often.

This can be worth doing when the plants are beyond any hope of
normal pruning! The reason for stressing that the plants are
fully deciduous is that many evergreen plants rely on their existing
leaves to fuel new shoots - ones like holly and yew will recover
from having all leaves removed, but will often be set back by a
year or so.

Some plants (like some clematis) can handle that treatment every
year, but most don't like it more than one year in three, or even
one year in ten for some of the coppiced trees.

I will be starting on the roses first. They have stopped flowering, when
would you suggest I made a start? Boy that is going to be fun I tied in
all the long branches. I described it earlier as a thicket. I do not
exaggerate.

I would wait until the light goes - say, the beginning of November.
But it is unlikely that you would harm them starting now.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message

My only addition to Spiders advice would be
If you have a lot of heavy pruning to do spread it out over a couple of
years or so.

Really??? I am very pleased you told me that! I would almost certainly
have lumbered in and chopped them down

It's the same as when you have to cut a hedge back really hard the
advice
is always cut one side one year and the other the following year.

Thank you very much, David!

There is an exception to the above. If you are pruning natural
deciduous shrubs (i.e. ones that produce multiple stems and go
back to bare stems in winter), you can cut them right down - just
not too often! That is what coppicing is, after all .... Similarly,
pruning plants that both naturally shoot from old wood and lose all
leaves in winter, you can cut them right back - again, not too often.

I would be afraid to cut anything back too hard in case I killed it, but
your comments are noted and are saved for future ref.

This can be worth doing when the plants are beyond any hope of
normal pruning! The reason for stressing that the plants are
fully deciduous is that many evergreen plants rely on their existing
leaves to fuel new shoots - ones like holly and yew will recover
from having all leaves removed, but will often be set back by a
year or so.

Right! I don't think I would have the courage to denude any plant. Btw why
would you want to remove all the leaves?

Some plants (like some clematis) can handle that treatment every
year, but most don't like it more than one year in three, or even
one year in ten for some of the coppiced trees.

I will be starting on the roses first. They have stopped flowering, when
would you suggest I made a start? Boy that is going to be fun I tied
in
all the long branches. I described it earlier as a thicket. I do not
exaggerate.

I would wait until the light goes - say, the beginning of November.
But it is unlikely that you would harm them starting now.

Nick, all that information is wonderful and I am very grateful!!! I might
make a start on the roses in the next month or so then. They are very
bunched up. Not sure how well I will do so, given that I am not too sure
which branches to cut out. There are a LOT! I tied them in when we came
back up to make them tidy. I wish I had been able to ask here before I did
that

I have spent many years living out of UK and when I have been here, I have
been working, so not much time for gardening. I am retired now and settled
so I am really enjoying learning and as for the amazing help I have had here
.... Well, I am Very Lucky!

btw I have clematis which I have trained over a trellis. They are in full
flower atm and I am enjoying them I didn't realise they needed to be
pruned at all! So much to learn

Saved! Many thanks for your kind post

Ophelia

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:

This can be worth doing when the plants are beyond any hope of
normal pruning! The reason for stressing that the plants are
fully deciduous is that many evergreen plants rely on their existing
leaves to fuel new shoots - ones like holly and yew will recover
from having all leaves removed, but will often be set back by a
year or so.

Right! I don't think I would have the courage to denude any plant. Btw why
would you want to remove all the leaves?

Because you need to cut out all leaf-bearing branches!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-01 11:43:44 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

I thought I'd read that H.colchica types were less hardy than our H.
helix. However, if yours is thriving in Scotland, then you can just sit
back and enjoy it. If you get a hard winter and it is damaged, simply
cut out the damage. I think that's all you need do.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-09-2014, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/09/2014 17:22, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

It's a posh
name for pruning to (below) the bud you want the next growth to
sprout
from.

Right! I do that with other stuff I have cut back. Heh I know how to
do it, I just don't know the name of it)

Great! That makes proceedings much easier.

Phew I got something right!!!!! g

Of course you did :~). You know more than you think you do, I'm sure.

Heh I wouldn't count on that))

I am counting on it. I can sense it's true.

[...]

You certainly do! You can tulips off for a bit, but you could be
planting lots of other lovely gems. Time for a visit to the garden
centre, me thinks!

[...]

Neither would you ... I'd probably never stop, once started! :~))
Anyway, I don't know everything. I have my weaknesses.

Now it's time to discuss the 'undercut', so that you don't tear the
bark as your pruning cut reaches the lower side of the branch and the
weight of the part-severed branch suddenly accelerates the fall and
rips the bark as the limb descends.

Ahhhh!! yes, that makes sense! If the bark were ripped like that,
could it kill the tree? Could it not repair itself?

It could certainly be very damaging and, on a plum tree, it could let in
Silver Leaf and heaven knows what. I seem to think you had a torn stub
on your plum tree. It had partly healed and partly died back, so you'll
be able to see what can happen following a bad cut. That stub needs
your attention since you're going to become an expert overnight ;~)!

[...]

You are certainly allowed! It would be a pleasure to help if I can.

Be well and enjoy your own garden Heh you might even get the time
now)))

Best always

Ophelia

I am already much better than I was, thank you. I shall enjoy doing a
spot of my own gardening, but I've got a couple of busy weeks coming up,
but then hope to get stuck in, not least planting lots and lots of
bulbs:~)).

Take care, Ophelia, and enjoy that book and your garden.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

Phew I got something right!!!!! g

Of course you did :~). You know more than you think you do, I'm sure.

Heh I wouldn't count on that))

I am counting on it. I can sense it's true.

I bow to your undoubted knowledge and experience, but I don't have too much
confidence in myself.

The book

Yes) I have been having a look)) Did you see, it has arrived!!!!
))) Gosh it is a super book btw. Thank you for the recommendation

roses

I haven't pruned them at all since I
have been back. They were all over the place but I just tied them
into the rest so I would have something to train over the arch. I have
to say there is quite a thicket. They have honeysuckle growing through
them too. Hmm I don't remember planting that At least now I
will
be coming up fairly regularly so it won't be left to its own devices
for
several years again and the work I do now with pay off for the future.
Taming this garden is a full time job g

Bulbs

But you're loving every minute of it, I bet :~). Hope you've left
enough time to plant some bulbs for spring;~).

??? I hadn't even thought about those!!! Do I still have time???

You certainly do! You can tulips off for a bit, but you could be planting
lots of other lovely gems. Time for a visit to the garden centre, me
thinks!

Yes? Then I shall have a trip there in Sunday)) I do love daffodils!
Will I be in time?

[...]

Well you are very knowledgeable and you have been very kind and generous
with your expertise and time.

Now it's time to discuss the 'undercut', so that you don't tear the
bark as your pruning cut reaches the lower side of the branch and the
weight of the part-severed branch suddenly accelerates the fall and
rips the bark as the limb descends.

Ahhhh!! yes, that makes sense! If the bark were ripped like that,
could it kill the tree? Could it not repair itself?

It could certainly be very damaging and, on a plum tree, it could let in
Silver Leaf and heaven knows what. I seem to think you had a torn stub on
your plum tree. It had partly healed and partly died back, so you'll be
able to see what can happen following a bad cut. That stub needs your
attention since you're going to become an expert overnight ;~)!

Huh! Expert? Me? lol anyway I am not sure which stub you are referring
to. Oh dear, you have me worried now.

Thank goodness for the link! That's not easy to explain, but I hope
I've managed to get it over all right. You may not need to do a lot
of that heavy duty pruning, but it's important to know how to do it
correctly. Once you know it, it's just common sense followed by
practice.

If I am allowed, I doubt you have heard the last from me ;-)

You are certainly allowed! It would be a pleasure to help if I can.

Thank you. That is most comforting)

Be well and enjoy your own garden Heh you might even get the time
now)))

I am already much better than I was, thank you. I shall enjoy doing a
spot of my own gardening, but I've got a couple of busy weeks coming up,
but then hope to get stuck in, not least planting lots and lots of
bulbs:~)).

Take care, Ophelia, and enjoy that book and your garden.

Thank you, I will

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/