Old 15-09-2014, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default another mole hill right near my house

On 15/09/2014 13:23, Janet wrote:
In article ,
lid says...

Has he got a degree in agriculture like the one in Whitby has?

Goodness. Do people need degrees to be pest controllers now?

No, they need enough money to buy a farm or a small holding if they want to be a
farmer.

You must not have heard of tenant farmers and farm managers.

You must know that there are less vacancies in those jobs than there are
unemployed people with degrees in agriculture. Even a tenant farmer needs
capital to get going. Who in his right mind would give a farm manager job to
somebody straight out of university?

Well, you're the person who thinks a new grad with a newly purchased
farm, could run it.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...ee-agriculture

"Of 2009 graduates, 60.9% went straight into employment, with one in
five of those choosing the commercial/industrial sector ? often going on
to careers in farm management? and 15.7% moving into other professional
or technical occupations.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_agriculture.htm

"What do agriculture graduates do?

Around one in twelve graduates working in the UK are managers in
agriculture or horticulture. Other occupations featuring in the top ten
are farmers, agricultural scientists, chartered surveyors and estate
agents.
Graduate destinations for agriculture Destinations Percentage
Employed 69.7%
Further study 8.1%
Working and studying 6.4%
Unemployed 7.3%
Other 8.4%"

I don't know if they still have to , but in the past anyone going to
Agricultural or Horticultural college had to do at least a years
practical work before going to college and to have kept a "Farm Diary",
also many come from Farming stock so have a fair knowledge of farming
before starting their course.
Old 15-09-2014, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:45:39 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:20:45 +0100, Indigo
wrote:

Goodness. Do people need degrees to be pest controllers now?

Two-a-penny these days, mostly in media studies and hairdressing.

My wife's hairdresser has a law degree.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 16-09-2014, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 20:35:29 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

overnight on Tuesday jumped me into activity. I've set the trap

in the
tunnel. No luck so far..

It's now undermining my paving. It has to go. Sorry Mr Mole.

well, it's been sprung twice, no mole. No tunnel either now, it's been
blocked off, are they that intelligent to do this? Rats are.

I wouldn't be surprised, I'd also suspect that moles are like rats an
will avoid anything niffing of "human".

Have moved the trap further down the garden today, although the olehiils
are older, the tunnels between them are better

You'll be out with a sivel chair, sticky tape, torch and shotgun
soon. B-)

LOL I might have to get a pest controller in, although I doubt he can do
more that I've done.

Old 16-09-2014, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/09/2014 06:00, Saxman wrote:

I saw somewhere where pigs urine is a deterrent?

Mole Asses - the sweet, sticky solution

--
regards andy