Old 07-09-2014, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default another mole hill right near my house

overnight on Tuesday jumped me into activity. I've set the trap in the
tunnel. No luck so far..

It's now undermining my paving. It has to go. Sorry Mr Mole.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/09/2014 18:40, Christina Websell wrote:
overnight on Tuesday jumped me into activity. I've set the trap in the
tunnel. No luck so far..

It's now undermining my paving. It has to go. Sorry Mr Mole.

I saw somewhere where pigs urine is a deterrent?
Old 08-09-2014, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Saxman wrote:

On 07/09/2014 18:40, Christina Websell wrote:
overnight on Tuesday jumped me into activity. I've set the trap in the
tunnel. No luck so far..

It's now undermining my paving. It has to go. Sorry Mr Mole.

I saw somewhere where pigs urine is a deterrent?

They might be a bit tough on the lawn and borders though!

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Saxman wrote:

On 07/09/2014 18:40, Christina Websell wrote:
overnight on Tuesday jumped me into activity. I've set the trap in the
tunnel. No luck so far..

It's now undermining my paving. It has to go. Sorry Mr Mole.

I saw somewhere where pigs urine is a deterrent?

They might be a bit tough on the lawn and borders though!

Chris

:-) The deeds on my house actually say I'm allowed to keep pigs providing
they are 75 yards from the road which I could comply with easily.
I've never kept any though. Seems a bit extreme to get some now just to
collect urine for a mole on the offchance it might work as a deterrent!
I did ask on here recently about deterrents but the consensus of opinion was
that nothing really worked except a trap so reluctantly that's the way I've
gone. Not to say I'll catch it though.

Old 13-09-2014, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
overnight on Tuesday jumped me into activity. I've set the trap in the
tunnel. No luck so far..

It's now undermining my paving. It has to go. Sorry Mr Mole.

well, it's been sprung twice, no mole. No tunnel either now, it's been
blocked off, are they that intelligent to do this? Rats are.
Have moved the trap further down the garden today, although the molehiils
are older, the tunnels between them are better (and don't they wander around
their previous tunnels looking for worms that have fallen in to them?)
If I have no luck in a few weeks, I will ask advice from a pest controller,
but I'm unlikely to pay him to come, as he will just have a mole trap like
mine. Unless he is a mole-whisperer, eh?
Pest controllers make a whole lot of money from people who prefer to let
them do it.

Old 13-09-2014, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 20:35:29 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

overnight on Tuesday jumped me into activity. I've set the trap

in the
tunnel. No luck so far..

It's now undermining my paving. It has to go. Sorry Mr Mole.

well, it's been sprung twice, no mole. No tunnel either now, it's been
blocked off, are they that intelligent to do this? Rats are.

I wouldn't be surprised, I'd also suspect that moles are like rats an
will avoid anything niffing of "human".

Have moved the trap further down the garden today, although the olehiils
are older, the tunnels between them are better

You'll be out with a sivel chair, sticky tape, torch and shotgun
soon. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 13-09-2014, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 21:26:23 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 20:35:29 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

overnight on Tuesday jumped me into activity. I've set the trap

in the
tunnel. No luck so far..

It's now undermining my paving. It has to go. Sorry Mr Mole.

well, it's been sprung twice, no mole. No tunnel either now, it's been
blocked off, are they that intelligent to do this? Rats are.

I wouldn't be surprised, I'd also suspect that moles are like rats an
will avoid anything niffing of "human".

Have moved the trap further down the garden today, although the

olehiils
are older, the tunnels between them are better

You'll be out with a sivel chair, sticky tape, torch and shotgun
soon. B-)

Just pour Jeyes Fluid or unwanted perfume/aftershave down the middle of the
molehill.
--
Jim S
Old 15-09-2014, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 23:03:49 +0100, Jim S wrote:

I lived in rural Devon for 28 years and never met a molecatcher. I only had
moles twice and smelly stuff worked every time. Diesel fuel works too.

There's one in Whitby. He's the son of somebody I shared an office with long
ago.

Does he catch vampires, too?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 15-09-2014, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 13:50:54 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,

says...

[...]

:-) If that worked, molecatchers would be out of business.

Janet

I lived in rural Devon for 28 years and never met a molecatcher.

When we lived on the Scottish mainland, the gamekeeper up the road had
it as a busy sideline at golfcourses. I used him too as the area was
heavily infested and he was more effective than all other DIY methods
put together. My son in England also lives next door to a fulltime
rural pest controller, including molecatching.

Janet.
Old 15-09-2014, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/09/2014 12:34, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:54:06 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
lid says...

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:20:45 +0100, Indigo wrote:

On 15/09/2014 10:24, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:09:21 +0100, Janet wrote:
In article ,

I lived in rural Devon for 28 years and never met a molecatcher.

When we lived on the Scottish mainland, the gamekeeper up the road had
it as a busy sideline at golfcourses. I used him too as the area was
heavily infested and he was more effective than all other DIY methods
put together. My son in England also lives next door to a fulltime
rural pest controller, including molecatching.

Has he got a degree in agriculture like the one in Whitby has?

Goodness. Do people need degrees to be pest controllers now?

No, they need enough money to buy a farm or a small holding if they want to be a
farmer.

You must not have heard of tenant farmers and farm managers.

You must know that there are less vacancies in those jobs than there are
unemployed people with degrees in agriculture. Even a tenant farmer needs
capital to get going. Who in his right mind would give a farm manager job to
somebody straight out of university?

The situation isn't being helped by Councils in rural areas continuing
to sell off their local authority owned farms, which was one way for
younger people to get a foot on the farming ladder. No wonder the
average age of farmers is going up all the time.

--
Sue
Old 15-09-2014, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

Has he got a degree in agriculture like the one in Whitby has?

Goodness. Do people need degrees to be pest controllers now?

No, they need enough money to buy a farm or a small holding if they want to be a
farmer.

You must not have heard of tenant farmers and farm managers.

You must know that there are less vacancies in those jobs than there are
unemployed people with degrees in agriculture. Even a tenant farmer needs
capital to get going. Who in his right mind would give a farm manager job to
somebody straight out of university?

Well, you're the person who thinks a new grad with a newly purchased
farm, could run it.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...ee-agriculture

"Of 2009 graduates, 60.9% went straight into employment, with one in
five of those choosing the commercial/industrial sector ? often going on
to careers in farm management? and 15.7% moving into other professional
or technical occupations.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_agriculture.htm

"What do agriculture graduates do?

Around one in twelve graduates working in the UK are managers in
agriculture or horticulture. Other occupations featuring in the top ten
are farmers, agricultural scientists, chartered surveyors and estate
agents.
Graduate destinations for agriculture Destinations Percentage
Employed 69.7%
Further study 8.1%
Working and studying 6.4%
Unemployed 7.3%