Old 21-12-2014, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default D. Imperialis and D Tu

Whilst we were away the tree dahlias were blasted by what looks like
frost and wind but still have flowers looking fresh
201214Imperialisflowers_zpsc0624e6f.jpg
so hopes for Xmas day and poss. New years day?
It is strange but the D.Imperialis was badly hit by the weather
201214Imperialisbattered_zps7316b6a8.jpg
But the D. Tenuicalis was not touched and it's in the same block of
planting, just a matter of feet away.
201214Dtenuicaulis_zpsbe85990b.jpg
All pictures taken yesterday.
Old 21-12-2014, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default D. Imperialis and D. Tenuicalis

Heading corrected

Old 21-12-2014, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Re posting with fresh links
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psc0624e6f.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps7316b6a8.jpg
But the D. Tenuicalis was not touched and it's in the same block of
planting, just a matter of feet away.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psbe85990b.jpg
All pictures taken yesterday.

Hope this is easier to get into.

Chris do you have heat to root cuttings?
Old 21-12-2014, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote

Re posting with fresh links
Whilst we were away the tree dahlias were blasted by what looks like
frost and wind but still have flowers looking fresh
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psc0624e6f.jpg
so hopes for Xmas day and poss. New years day?
It is strange but the D.Imperialis was badly hit by the weather
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps7316b6a8.jpg
But the D. Tenuicalis was not touched and it's in the same block of
planting, just a matter of feet away.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psbe85990b.jpg
All pictures taken yesterday.

Hope this is easier to get into.

Chris do you have heat to root cuttings?

The Tree Dahlia, D.imperialis, that we got from Hill House turned to black
mush at the slightest frost such that we never saw it flower, buds about to
break yes, but then always a frost. Still a stunning plant though and worth
growing for it's architectural merits.
Perhaps D tenuicaulis is a touch more hardy or does it have a bit more tree
protection from the wind?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-12-2014, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/12/2014 13:02, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 12:08:30 +0000, David
wrote:

Chris do you have heat to root cuttings?

I have one of these http://tinyurl.com/pb9gxav

I ask because the cuttings are much more woody so would probably be OK
in the post unrooted.
Contact me in the new year
David

Old 21-12-2014, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/12/2014 12:44, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David" wrote

Re posting with fresh links
[...]

Bob
No extra protection if anything a little less.
As I said to Chris, contact me in the new year.
David
Old 21-12-2014, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

It's strange but almost all dahlia breeding is done for show, no one
seems to be breeding for hardiness, though even in ordinary garden
dahlias there are always one or two that seem to take a little more
frost than the rest.
Old 21-12-2014, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
"David" wrote

Re posting with fresh links
[...]