Old 29-12-2014, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Well, this is fun...

On 29/12/2014 12:55, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 28/12/2014 11:16, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 27/12/2014 15:33, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 26/12/2014 23:03, Sacha wrote:
the gales are back. It was about 7C at 3pm today so brisk but not
bitter. But this damned wind is really unpleasant, scurrying round
windows and howling down chimneys.

We've had very strong winds here through the night. RG had to get up
at 4am and close the bedroom window because a birdfeeder was banging
against it and keeping us awake. He took the bird feeder down, too,
of course. It's clear the birds really missed it because they flew to
it as if it was magnetised once RG put it back. If birds could
stampede, they would have done!

I haven't ventured outside to check the garden, so I'm keeping my
fingers crossed. It's supposed to be much nicer in the London area
tomorrow. I'll check it then.

We always got various birds feeding in our garden but since we have
the
new sooper dooper fancy feeder (tm)

LOL!

Do you think we ought to patent it? ;-)

Having noted the way this conversation is going, perhaps not, but
hubby's idea was an excellent stopgap which has already helped lots of
birds:~).

g He was just saying how the starlings are seeing off the other birds
on the guttering, so spreading the food around will be much better.

only starlings are coming ... and a
lot of them! Are they keeping the other birds away?

They could be, but starlings (I call them starvlings) need feeding and
they've been in decline over recent years, so they need help, too.

You will find that the more feeders you have - and the more widely
spread - the more birds you will safely attract. It helps to put
feeders near protective cover so the birds feel safe, but not so
protected that cats can conceal themselves. Not always easy in a
small garden. You could make use of your apple and holly trees when
hanging feeders.

Did you see the ball he hung on the tree? He had taken off the
netting, drilled a hole through it and hung it on a plastic tie. I do
usually hang them in all possible places ... remember how this started?
Me talking about hanging some in the cotoneaster? )

Yes and yes, I did and do. Spreading the food around helps deal with
territorial issues, disease (not too much feeding and pooping in one
place), and predators to a large extent.

Good information Thanks.

sigh it seems the sooper dooper fancy feeder (tm) won't be necessary
after all and doubt it will make an appearance in future years He
bought that guttering for the side of the shed so I suspect it will be
used for that purpose now

Hope he bought the waterbutt and downpipe, too;~).

He has the waterbutt, downpipe, seals and brackets and was talking about
installing it when the guttering was diverted)

It was a fast solution to the problem but now we can see there are much
better options I doubt it will stay up long as a feeder, he wants
to get it installed

I hardly like to say it, but if hubby built a sooper dooper(tm) ;~))
birdtable everyone would be happy: the birds would have their own
outdoor restaurant, the garden would regain the mini-greenhouse thingy,
and hubby could have his guttering back *and*, before very long the shed
would have its waterbutt. Simples:~))).
Cheeky, or what?

It was fun to see all the starlings descending though I haven't seen
that many here before.

I haven't seen anything like the numbers of starlings I used to see when
I was younger. Even 30yrs ago there were flocks of them locally; going
back to my childhood, there were vast flocks of them. Perhaps guttering
is the way forwards after all.

I use a lot of fatball feeders, and this is my favourite type:-

http://www.vinehousefarm.co.uk/our-s...Feeder-Cage/87

I also use suet blocks in dedicated wire block cages, which are very
readily used. Avoid buying flimsy ones if you can; I've lost count of
the ones I've thrown out:~(.

I don't think I've ever seen a cage. Usually in the winter I buy blocks
of dripping, melt it and mix in seeds and set them in bun trays with a
piece of string for hanging them. I have all the dripping and seeds but
forgot with all the other preparations so we bought a bucket of the ones
in nets as a quick solution.

There are several designs on the cage-type feeder. I like them
because they often hold as many as three fatballs, meaning I don't
have to rush out and refill them every day. There's nothing wrong
with the home-made type, though. I've done that myself in the past
and probably will again. They're just as welcome.

Traditional peanut feeders are also very welcome.

We already have those and use them.

RG is currently using
a see-through plastic tube type with feeding portals. They can be
bought for seed or mixed foods.

The one we are using for peanuts is a clear tube. Hmmm... I am sure we
had some that was mainly mesh. Were they the proper ones for peanuts?

Yes, mesh ones are better in my opinion, as they allow more birds to
feed at once. There's also less chance of the nuts going mouldy in a
mesh feeder. Mouldy nuts can be harmful for birds.

Thanks!!!

RG's one is currently holding suet
pellets, sunflower hearts and mealworms (not live ones). This feeder
is *loved* by all the little birds. We've even seen robins on it
(they adore mealworms), and they usually prefer ground-or-table
feeding.

Another treat I occasionally offer is raw pastry when I've got some
spare. Birds will turn cartwheels for this!:~)) Grated cheese is
enjoyed as well, but not strong cheddar (too salty, I think). Mild
chedder or one of the creamy cheeses always goes down well.

That is news for me! Noted! In the winter especially, I make suet
pastry so ...

Great. They'll love that!:~))

Hope this gives you some ideas.

It most certainly does!! Especially the one about pastry!!

I hope you appreciate that you will
hence forth feed like a pauper while your birds are feasting in
style?:~). Feeding birds is addictive!

LOL I can feel it happening already ...

As always, Spider, thanks for all the great advice) I really
appreciate it!

You're welcome, Ophelia. I should also have said that a reliable
source of fresh water is essential, too. They need it for bathing as
well as drinking.

There are ponds nearby so I think they will be ok for water.

That's good. The birds certainly use our pond. The heron would if it
could ;~).

I must say I wouldn't want a chilly outdoor bath at this time
of year, but it apparently keeps birds' feathers clean and fluffed up
so they can keep themselves warm.

Thank you again))

Delighted to help.

I've often meant to ask you, since you're up in bonny Scotland: do you
have red squirrels up there, or are you plagued by the greys? Do red
squirrels make use of the bird food you put out? ... or steal your bulbs?
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 29-12-2014, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

ROFL I love it! I'll have a wee word ...

It was fun to see all the starlings descending though I haven't seen
that many here before.

I haven't seen anything like the numbers of starlings I used to see when I
was younger. Even 30yrs ago there were flocks of them locally; going back
to my childhood, there were vast flocks of them. Perhaps guttering is the
way forwards after all.

Who knows perhaps he could be the guttering pioneer )) We do see huge
flocks in the sky doing their wonderful swooping Our guttering mob are
far fewer but still a respectable mob We have been down hanging the balls
all over the place and are starting to get more wee birds in, although the
starlings are trying to protect their gutter )

[...]

Ok we have taken out the peanuts and replaced with seed and the wee birds
have found them. We had a Blue tit and Great tit at the fat blocks. The
sparrows seem to prefer the seed, a black bird in the holly tree at one of
the fat blocks and still the starlings in the gutter Need to look in the
shed (you know, the one with no guttering) because we are sure we had some
of the mesh feeders for the peanuts.

[...]

No, just greys. The reds are mainly in the north and west but some in the
borders. We get greys in the garden to feed but not seen them on the
ground, perhaps because our dog wouldn't like that g

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 31-12-2014, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

I'm wondering now if the word you (or, indeed, I) got in return was
polite;~).

It was fun to see all the starlings descending though I haven't seen
that many here before.

I haven't seen anything like the numbers of starlings I used to see
when I was younger. Even 30yrs ago there were flocks of them locally;
going back to my childhood, there were vast flocks of them. Perhaps
guttering is the way forwards after all.

Who knows perhaps he could be the guttering pioneer )) We do see
huge flocks in the sky doing their wonderful swooping Our guttering
mob are far fewer but still a respectable mob We have been down
hanging the balls all over the place and are starting to get more wee
birds in, although the starlings are trying to protect their gutter )

Well worth protecting, obviously! It's good to know that the little
birds are getting a look-in now.

[...]

Splutter :~))!

because
we are sure we had some of the mesh feeders for the peanuts.

Good luck with that. The grey squirrels either steal or destroy most of
ours, but we see several at a time and they're very bold :~(. I shall
replace the most battered of ours next week. The birds really need all
the help they can get now.

[...]

Oh. What a shame. It would have been nice if you could have been
enjoying the reds. I'm glad your dog is keeping the greys at bay. I
suspect that a couple of neighbours' dogs are actually the cause of our
mini spate of squirrels. Our cats help a bit during the spring and
summer, but they're both 10yrs old now and getting lazy ... well, that
is about 60yrs in our terms.

Sorry I'm late getting back, Ophelia, but the head was complaining due
to the chilly weather and low pressure. Fine now, though:~).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 31-12-2014, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

I hardly like to say it, but if hubby built a sooper dooper(tm) ;~))
birdtable everyone would be happy: the birds would have their own
outdoor restaurant, the garden would regain the mini-greenhouse
thingy, and hubby could have his guttering back *and*, before very
long the shed would have its waterbutt. Simples:~))).
Cheeky, or what?

ROFL I love it! I'll have a wee word ...

I'm wondering now if the word you (or, indeed, I) got in return was
polite;~).

I'll never tell ... ;-)

It was fun to see all the starlings descending though I haven't seen
that many here before.

I haven't seen anything like the numbers of starlings I used to see
when I was younger. Even 30yrs ago there were flocks of them locally;
going back to my childhood, there were vast flocks of them. Perhaps
guttering is the way forwards after all.

Who knows perhaps he could be the guttering pioneer )) We do see
huge flocks in the sky doing their wonderful swooping Our guttering
mob are far fewer but still a respectable mob We have been down
hanging the balls all over the place and are starting to get more wee
birds in, although the starlings are trying to protect their gutter )

Well worth protecting, obviously! It's good to know that the little birds
are getting a look-in now.

it is lovely to see them too) They can escape all the bullies)

I use a lot of fatball feeders, and this is my favourite type:-

http://www.vinehousefarm.co.uk/our-s...Feeder-Cage/87

I don't think I said, we haven't seen any like that, but will keep any eye
out for them!

[...]

pssst wanna borrow me 'anky, Mrs ? g

because
we are sure we had some of the mesh feeders for the peanuts.

Good luck with that. The grey squirrels either steal or destroy most of
ours, but we see several at a time and they're very bold :~(. I shall
replace the most battered of ours next week. The birds really need all
the help they can get now.

Not had many recently but I expect more will come. I'll keep an eye on
them, especially now we have your excellent advice! Thank you

[...]

Hmm well my dog is nearly 11! I have to say though, lazy she is not! She
will soon give them welly if they dare to come down into her territory!

Sorry I'm late getting back, Ophelia, but the head was complaining due to
the chilly weather and low pressure. Fine now, though:~).

Oh I am sorry( I hope it stays fine!!! I must admit, it isn't doing the
old arfur any favours either

I will leave you just now with all my best wishes to you and RG, for a
Wonderful New Year and 2015)

ps you know I will be bothering you again for advice next year ... don't
you)) g

Big Hugs!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 31-12-2014, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/12/2014 22:33, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

I hardly like to say it, but if hubby built a sooper dooper(tm) ;~))
birdtable everyone would be happy: the birds would have their own
outdoor restaurant, the garden would regain the mini-greenhouse
thingy, and hubby could have his guttering back *and*, before very
long the shed would have its waterbutt. Simples:~))).
Cheeky, or what?

ROFL I love it! I'll have a wee word ...

I'm wondering now if the word you (or, indeed, I) got in return was
polite;~).

I'll never tell ... ;-)

Now my imagination's working overtime;~)

[...]

No. I haven't seen them for a while. I'll tip you off (in a new
thread) if I see them anywhere.

[...]

E, tha's a wee bit cheeky, our lass! :~)))

[...]

I can understand that. Arfur is an old 'friend' of mine and is the
cause of many of my migraines. It's the grumpy old bear we all have to
cross.

I will leave you just now with all my best wishes to you and RG, for a
Wonderful New Year and 2015)

And our very best wishes to you and your inventive hubby for a splendid
New Year and a healthy and blossoming year ahead.

ps you know I will be bothering you again for advice next year ... don't
you)) g

I shall miss you if you don't! See you on another thread sometime soon.

Big Hugs!!!

You can't give a hug without getting one back, so new year hugs to you, too.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 31-12-2014, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

I hardly like to say it, but if hubby built a sooper dooper(tm) ;~))
birdtable everyone would be happy: the birds would have their own
outdoor restaurant, the garden would regain the mini-greenhouse
thingy, and hubby could have his guttering back *and*, before very
long the shed would have its waterbutt. Simples:~))).
Cheeky, or what?

ROFL I love it! I'll have a wee word ...

I'm wondering now if the word you (or, indeed, I) got in return was
polite;~).

I'll never tell ... ;-)

Now my imagination's working overtime;~)

;-)

Well worth protecting, obviously! It's good to know that the little
birds are getting a look-in now.

it is lovely to see them too) They can escape all the bullies)

I use a lot of fatball feeders, and this is my favourite type:-

http://www.vinehousefarm.co.uk/our-s...Feeder-Cage/87

I don't think I said, we haven't seen any like that, but will keep any
eye out for them!

No. I haven't seen them for a while. I'll tip you off (in a new thread)
if I see them anywhere.

Thank you, please do

Yes, mesh ones are better in my opinion, as they allow more birds to
feed at once. There's also less chance of the nuts going mouldy in
mesh feeder. Mouldy nuts can be harmful for birds.

Thanks!!!

Ok we have taken out the peanuts and replaced with seed and the wee
birds have found them. We had a Blue tit and Great tit at the fat
blocks. The sparrows seem to prefer the seed, a black bird in the
holly
tree at one of the fat blocks and still the starlings in the gutter
Need to look in the shed (you know, the one with no guttering)

Splutter :~))!

pssst wanna borrow me 'anky, Mrs ? g

E, tha's a wee bit cheeky, our lass! :~)))

Oooo me? Dunno wot you mean, I am doin' me bestest, Mrs

As always, Spider, thanks for all the great advice) I really
appreciate it!

Sorry I'm late getting back, Ophelia, but the head was complaining due
to the chilly weather and low pressure. Fine now, though:~).

Oh I am sorry( I hope it stays fine!!! I must admit, it isn't doing
the old arfur any favours either

I can understand that. Arfur is an old 'friend' of mine and is the cause
of many of my migraines. It's the grumpy old bear we all have to cross.

Aye I used to have the head thing, but oddly enough, sometimes I get the
symptoms without a servere head pain. Odd, eh?

I will leave you just now with all my best wishes to you and RG, for a
Wonderful New Year and 2015)

And our very best wishes to you and your inventive hubby for a splendid
New Year and a healthy and blossoming year ahead.

Passing it on and he is smiling and waving))

ps you know I will be bothering you again for advice next year ... don't
you)) g

I shall miss you if you don't! See you on another thread sometime soon.

I do hope so)

Big Hugs!!!

You can't give a hug without getting one back, so new year hugs to you,
too.

Thanks our Spider!!! )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 01-01-2015, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/12/2014 23:59, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

(Snip)
[...]

Whilst grinning be'ind yer 'anky? I've got your number, missus;~)).

[...]

Smiling and waving back :~))).

ps you know I will be bothering you again for advice next year ... don't
you)) g

I shall miss you if you don't! See you on another thread sometime soon.

I do hope so)

There's no doubt about it!

Big Hugs!!!

You can't give a hug without getting one back, so new year hugs to
you, too.

Thanks our Spider!!! )

See tha' soon, then (waving).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 02-01-2015, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

Splutter :~))!

pssst wanna borrow me 'anky, Mrs ? g

E, tha's a wee bit cheeky, our lass! :~)))

Oooo me? Dunno wot you mean, I am doin' me bestest, Mrs

Whilst grinning be'ind yer 'anky? I've got your number, missus;~)).

Oh thump! Ya got me bang to rights missus ...

ps you know I will be bothering you again for advice next year ... don't
you)) g

I shall miss you if you don't! See you on another thread sometime soon.

I do hope so)

There's no doubt about it!

Big Hugs!!!

You can't give a hug without getting one back, so new year hugs to
you, too.

Thanks our Spider!!! )

See tha' soon, then (waving).

Aye well don't mek it too long))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
Well well! Rusty_Hinge[_2_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 04:39 PM
Well well! Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 1 11-03-2009 03:58 PM