Old 09-01-2015, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The trees' intelligent root management

I swear I tried to find an intellgent subject-line.

My question is provoked by a recommendation that I have got from a local
network of “fruit-tree-activists”. Emery knows immediately who I am
referring to.

I am planting some fruit trees, so they advise to put some dung at the
bottom of the hole, cover it with a good layer of good soil, then
install the tree on top of these two layers. While the stocked nutrients
will allow the little tree to settle in, the layer of soil protects its
roots from the potential aggressiveness of the dung.

Trees are reacting to their environment “intelligently” in that they
continuously adapt their development and appear to even communicate
their condition to others in the vicinity.

Does anyone know what they will actually “do” with the dung? Are there
some kind of “special roots” which will determine and organize the right
rationing scheme... whatever.

TIA

Michael
--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 09-01-2015, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/01/15 08:16, Michael Uplawski wrote:
[...]

I don't know but it's probably as simple as the way that plants grow
towards the light - which is a deceptively simple process that
superficially looks "intelligent".