Old 30-03-2015, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Problem with commercial compost

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:50:42 +0100, Janet wrote:

Provided you don't mind the mess drop the bag on its end from about two
feet up and the shock will break the stuff up pretty well.

I decant the whole sack into an old dustbin (for storage) and use a
garden fork to break it up. When I take compost from the bin to a
potting tray I use a handfork if it needs to be broken up even finer;
and add grit to lighten it.

We fortunate enough last year to find a branch of Lidl selling off
some electric cement/plaster /paint stirrers for £5 like this one.
http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/...619319&title=M

So far it has stirred and mixed compost soil etc fine in a dustbin,
plus some jobs doing what it was designed for.

At £5 if it only lasts a couple of seasons it will be a bargain, don't
know what the pre clearance price was .
If cheap enough when it comes around again it might be an idea for
some.

G.Harman
Old 30-03-2015, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , damduck-
says...

[...]

Wow, what a bargain boy toy....when's his birthday..

I'll watch out for one, thanks.

Janet.
Old 30-03-2015, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

G Harman wrote

Janet wrote:

[...]

That is so cheap, the ones in Screwfix are £100. You can buy the "blade" as
a tool for an electric drill for about £5. but would that be powerful enough
for compost.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-03-2015, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:24:11 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

G Harman wrote

Janet wrote:

Provided you don't mind the mess drop the bag on its end from about two
feet up and the shock will break the stuff up pretty well.

I decant the whole sack into an old dustbin (for storage) and use a

I use a handfork if it needs to be broken up even finer;
and add grit to lighten it.

We fortunate enough last year to find a branch of Lidl selling off
some electric cement/plaster /paint stirrers for £5

That is so cheap, the ones in Screwfix are £100. You can buy the "blade" as
a tool for an electric drill for about £5. but would that be powerful enough
for compost.

The stirrer is 1400 watts and has a speed control so you can run it at
a slowish speed. I have used an electric drill in the past with a
similar tool but it was too fast and the compost got thrown out of
the bin. The drill was about 600 watt and struggled a bit so I
stopped before the electric smoke escaped..

I was quite flabbergasted when I saw the asking price and checked they
were actually labelled correctly before reaching the till, sometimes
think I should have got two.
The branch was the Ferndown ,Dorset one and I think it is one of those
where they agglomerate the unsold items from other branches and have a
final clearance, possibly with some repackaging as some customers of
both Aldi and Lidl are disrespectable in the way they examine
prospective purchases.

G.Harman