Old 13-04-2015, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant Identification

This flowering plant is all over a country park where I work. They have
blue and white flowers.

What is it?

TIA

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbowd3ibm.jpg
Old 13-04-2015, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Racquel Darrian" . wrote in message
This flowering plant is all over a country park where I work. They have blue and white
flowers.

What is it?

TIA

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbowd3ibm.jpg

Anemone blanda 'Blue Shades'. A cultivated anemone.

Phil

Old 13-04-2015, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 09:56:16 +0100, "philgurr"
wrote:
"Racquel Darrian" . wrote in message

This flowering plant is all over a country park where I work. They
have blue and white flowers.

What is it?

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbowd3ibm.jpg

Anemone blanda 'Blue Shades'. A cultivated anemone.

+1

AKA winter windflower. Lots of images he http://tinyurl.com/qxla9hr

And, as you have observed, they naturalise well in part shade.
I have a good patch, which is a solid mass of blue in spring.
They do self-seed, but are not a major problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-04-2015, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote...
Chris Hogg wrote:
"philgurr" wrote:
"Racquel Darrian" wrote

This flowering plant is all over a country park where I work. They
have blue and white flowers.

What is it?

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbowd3ibm.jpg

Anemone blanda 'Blue Shades'. A cultivated anemone.

+1

AKA winter windflower. Lots of images he http://tinyurl.com/qxla9hr

And, as you have observed, they naturalise well in part shade.
I have a good patch, which is a solid mass of blue in spring.
They do self-seed, but are not a major problem.

I have twice planted this in my garden for it to disappear immediately.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-04-2015, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 09:48:14 +0100, Racquel Darrian
. wrote:

This flowering plant is all over a country park where I work. They have
blue and white flowers.

What is it?

TIA

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbowd3ibm.jpg

As the others have said, anemone blanda. Mine have seeded in the
gravel in my front garden. Once you have them, leave them alone and
they will serve you well and pop up year after year. Don't dead-head
if you want them to self seed.
Buy them now, in flower. I would leave them in the pot to flower and
die back, (keep them wtered) then when they are dormant you can plant
the little black corms wherever you want them. Waitrose were selling
some in pots, good value for money but most g.cs have them. Otherwise
buy the corms in the autumn.

Old 13-04-2015, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

This flowering plant is all over a country park where I work. They
have blue and white flowers.

What is it?

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbowd3ibm.jpg

Anemone blanda 'Blue Shades'. A cultivated anemone.

+1

AKA winter windflower. Lots of images he http://tinyurl.com/qxla9hr

And, as you have observed, they naturalise well in part shade.
I have a good patch, which is a solid mass of blue in spring.
They do self-seed, but are not a major problem.

I have twice planted this in my garden for it to disappear immediately.

My soil is 60% sand.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-04-2015, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

This flowering plant is all over a country park where I work. They
have blue and white flowers.

What is it?

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbowd3ibm.jpg

Anemone blanda 'Blue Shades'. A cultivated anemone.

+1

AKA winter windflower. Lots of images he http://tinyurl.com/qxla9hr

And, as you have observed, they naturalise well in part shade.
I have a good patch, which is a solid mass of blue in spring.
They do self-seed, but are not a major problem.

I have twice planted this in my garden for it to disappear immediately.

My soil is 60% sand.

So it probably does not like heavy clay/silt soil.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-04-2015, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/04/2015 17:39, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

This flowering plant is all over a country park where I work. They
have blue and white flowers.

What is it?

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbowd3ibm.jpg

Anemone blanda 'Blue Shades'. A cultivated anemone.

+1

AKA winter windflower. Lots of images he http://tinyurl.com/qxla9hr

And, as you have observed, they naturalise well in part shade.
I have a good patch, which is a solid mass of blue in spring.
They do self-seed, but are not a major problem.

I have twice planted this in my garden for it to disappear immediately.

My soil is 60% sand.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

My soil is heavy London clay, but I have a carpet of them under a
Crataegus x 'Prunifolia'. They are spreading well .. one or two in the
adjacent lawn this year. Bob should have another go with them. They're
too charming to miss.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 14-04-2015, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/04/2015 22:55, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

This flowering plant is all over a country park where I work. They
have blue and white flowers.

What is it?

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbowd3ibm.jpg

Anemone blanda 'Blue Shades'. A cultivated anemone.

+1

AKA winter windflower. Lots of images he http://tinyurl.com/qxla9hr

And, as you have observed, they naturalise well in part shade.
I have a good patch, which is a solid mass of blue in spring.
They do self-seed, but are not a major problem.

I have twice planted this in my garden for it to disappear immediately.

My soil is 60% sand.

So it probably does not like heavy clay/silt soil.

See my reply to Nick, Bob.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London