Old 28-06-2015, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is this annual meadow grass?

Hi, long time since I've popped into u.r.g

I had my rear lawn relaid in April as the old one was over 30 years old,
worn out and lots of builders rubble underneath. I used a local firm to
do the work and I was very happy with their standard of work. The
prepared the site well and didn't skimp in any way.

The lawn really established quickly and the contractor carried out the
first cut after 4-5 weeks. After that it became apparent that there were
many patches of course grass (about 40-50% of the lawn). The contractor
agreed that there was a problem and arranged a visit from the turf
supplier (a large reputable company). He said that some of the grass had
gone to seed early due to weather conditions when it was laid. He said
it would get better and supplied some fertiliser normally used on golf
courses.

Unfortunately the lawn hasn't really improved and I need to take things
further. The contractor couldn't have been more helpful and its
unfortunate that I will have to pursue him rather than the turf supplier
but I'm hopeful that something can be sorted out before then.

I'm trying to get as much info on the problem as I can. I'm thinking
that the areas of course grass are Poa annua or annual meadow grass.
I've put some photos of it on my Flickr account and I would be most
grateful if you could give your opinions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438292...posted-public/

Old 28-06-2015, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/06/2015 18:42, Paul Giverin wrote:
[...]

It's definitely NOT annual meadow grass.
I think you are being very unfair to the contractor expecting a perfect
lawn from turf in less than 3 months.
Looks to me as if you have a lot of rye grass in the turf, a hard
wearing grass suitable for heavy use.
I'd be inclined to over sow with a finer grass seed.
You don't say where in the UK you are, but this spring the weather has
been very variable around the country, some places having plenty of rain
whilst others have had almost drought.
I would leave well alone till the Autumn then scarify the lawn and over sow.
David@ a now rain free side of Swansea Bay.
Old 28-06-2015, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

[...]

Did you see the chap on Gardener's World last Friday? "His lawn is his
life" is more or less what his wife said (though he does play golf too,
so it can only be 50% at most).

Anyway: he scarifies and over-sows more than once every season! Can't
remember the details, but it might be worth a watch in ip... oh hang on
the extract (5 mins) is he http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02vnhx4

I want to know where he got is lawn mower: my Dad had one like that and
it was the best I've ever used.

J.
Old 28-06-2015, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

Hi, long time since I've popped into u.r.g

I had my rear lawn relaid in April

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438292...in/dateposted-
public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438292...posted-public/

Those pics look to me like a perfectly acceptable lawn, for barely
three months old. As you continue to mow regularly, the grass will
tiller out to fill the gaps and get thicker.

Janet
Old 29-06-2015, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Another John wrote:

Did you see the chap on Gardener's World last Friday? "His lawn is his
life" is more or less what his wife said (though he does play golf too,
so it can only be 50% at most).

Anyway: he scarifies and over-sows more than once every season! Can't
remember the details, but it might be worth a watch in ip... oh hang on
the extract (5 mins) is he http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02vnhx4

I want to know where he got is lawn mower: my Dad had one like that and
it was the best I've ever used.

Pausing the video when the cast nameplate is visible, it appears
to be a Ransomes Certes.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Identify soil type for wildflower meadow? [H]omer United Kingdom 14 18-05-2004 12:11 AM
meadow conservation tim United Kingdom 3 30-06-2003 11:20 PM
creating Wildflower meadow ?? Aler Texas 5 24-05-2003 04:32 PM
Tricky problem ?? wildflower meadow gray bale United Kingdom 0 10-05-2003 12:20 PM
Public Space - Meadow - Nature reserve - Help - Free seeds Richard G Seddon United Kingdom 3 30-03-2003 02:33 AM