Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-09-2015, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Origin of garden verse

Does anyone know who wrote this following piece of verse please:

"Give me an house, convenient, clean and fair,
An old world garden with its fruitful walls,
Orchards and spreading vines, a few tried thralls;
A faithful wife unspent with children's care.
No debts, no quarrels, lust or lawyers snare.
No irksome sharing of ancestral halls;
Deriving little, deaf to ambitions calls,
Or ought beside that simple folk forswear
Grant me to live in low estate at ease,
In true devotion telling out my days;
Give me a soul at peace from passionate ways,
A fearless mind unmarred by man or fate,
So praising God I'll graft and prune my trees,
Till death comes softly to my garden gate."

I've done a google trying ot find the author and found the poem
mentioned here but when I google the name of the cited Author there is
not one hit:
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...19191025.2.150

Anyone recognise this poem please?