Old 26-02-2016, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glyphosate spray

We had talked about spraying with Glyphosate out of season but it seemed
that it was all guesswork so this afternoon as the grass and other weeds
out the field were just about dry, just the very odd droplet of water
close to the hedge I used one knapsack tank of spray.
I didn't think when I started to clean out the polyjey filter so only
about half volume spray to start, but cleaned the filter part way
through so most had full strength spray (that's 100ml to 5 litres of
water), so now it's just sit back and wait to see what happens.
There are several hawthorn with buds about to burst and some weed seed
has germinated also fresh leaves on buttercups also a few dandelions in
flower.
Next test will be to spray some of the brambles that have held their
leaves all winter, also with bursting buds, with a brushwood killer.
David@ a still dry side of Swansea bay after 4 days (almost a welsh drought)
Old 26-02-2016, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:33:18 +0000, David Hill wrote:

There are several hawthorn with buds about to burst and some weed seed
has germinated also fresh leaves on buttercups also a few dandelions in
flower.

I've had very poor luck with buttercup. Which is too bad as it's a major
pest; dandelion responds pretty well, though not as well as grass.

I may try and do the same this WE as the weather looks propitious, but
still really struggling to come back from a very nasty bronchitis. Have
coughed it all out but remarkably quick to tire... wanted to bring up
wood to stack in the dry today, but the walk down to look at what there
was to do finished me!

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 29-02-2016, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/02/2016 22:27, Emery Davis wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:33:18 +0000, David Hill wrote:

There are several hawthorn with buds about to burst and some weed seed
has germinated also fresh leaves on buttercups also a few dandelions in
flower.

I've had very poor luck with buttercup. Which is too bad as it's a major
pest; dandelion responds pretty well, though not as well as grass.

Buttercup is one of the things that merely suffers a growth check when
hit with glyphosate. You need a broadleaf specific weedkiller to take it
down (and even that isn't entirely reliable).

Glyphosate and a burn when tinder dry sets it back a bit harder.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 24-03-2016, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/02/2016 17:33, David Hill wrote:
[...]

Well it's around 4 weeks since I sprayed and it looks quite good despite
having had the nozzle on the sprayer partially block with crud from
leaving water in the sprayer over winter.
Took this picture yesterday 23rd March
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psftcg09rb.jpg

Sprayed the rest of the field yesterday, so it had plenty of time to dry
before the rain this morning.
David @ a once again damp side of Swansea Bay
Old 24-03-2016, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/03/16 18:01, David Hill wrote:
[...]

Looks like it's done a good job. You'd better get the rest done before
the inmates of the EU asylum ban glyphosate:
http://www.feednavigator.com/Regulat...glyphosate-ban

It may be time to lay in a good stock before it disappears from the market.

--

Jeff

glyphosate and vegetables Martin Brown United Kingdom 2 05-08-2003 03:43 PM
Glyphosate Huskies4all Roses 7 29-05-2003 05:56 PM
The dangers of weed killers - Glyphosate aka Roundup, the hidden killer. Malcolm United Kingdom 0 15-05-2003 10:45 AM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 7 12-05-2003 07:56 PM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 12-05-2003 11:45 AM