Old 22-03-2016, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vegetarian human poo in the veg plot?

On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 12:07:57 +0100, Michael Uplawski wrote:

This is often the case on rice-fields.

No rice fields in the mountains though! I think the crop was often peas
and "Irish potatoes".

In India, projects to increase hygiene include “wandering” dry toilets
over holes in the ground, and bananas being planted on each previously
“used” spot. This is apparently a great success.

Again, interesting. I believe the African branch of my family has some
difficulties with this issue at the village in Kenya, which is very
remote, so I will be investigating and perhaps making some suggestions.

Thanks!

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 22-03-2016, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 05-04-2016, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"User" ] wrote in message
Is it OK to put vegetarian human poo in the veg plot?
Or in the compost

vegetable poo is fine. Although I wouldn't use human poo even vegetarian

Old 05-04-2016, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 20:34:09 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"User" ] wrote in message
Is it OK to put vegetarian human poo in the veg plot?
Or in the compost

vegetable poo is fine. Although I wouldn't use human poo even vegetarian

I'm curious: which of your vegetables produce poo?

Pootatoes?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/03/16 13:07, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 08:00:36 +0100, Michael Uplawski wrote:

About all associations who deal « agro-écologie » will have an ?opinion?
and oftentimes experience to share.

Thanks Michael that was very interesting, I didn't know about these
techniques. Would think they'd be very interesting in dry areas. Not
usually our case!

Wasn't really going to comment on this thread as I know nothing about it,
but as it happens am reading Earnest Wilson's 1913 memoir of traveling
and plant hunting in Western China and Thibet; he mentions the
agricultural practice of the peasants is to spread their waste directly
in the highland fields, without composting. This earth is otherwise very
nutrient poor. Wilson doesn't comment on this beyond saying they've been
doing it for millenia.

I saw this being done there, in 1986. Great crops :-)

I also used an immaculate rural commune unisex lavatory which consisted
of a long tiled squat trench (used by several people at once). Urine ran
off to a separate collector. A little old lady with a hand shovel and
bucket, was watching and waiting to collect any pooh.

These manufacturers of compost toilets recommend leaving poo to compost
for at least a year before doing anything with it.

http://natsol.co.uk/

They have devised an ingenious way of separating urine.

http://natsol.co.uk/urine-diverting-compost-toilets/
Old 08-04-2016, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 00:43:53 +0100,
Hils wrote:

These manufacturers of compost toilets recommend leaving poo to compost
for at least a year before doing anything with it.

Not enough.

They have devised an ingenious way of separating urine.

Several systems have been developed that allow the separation by
mechanisms or specially designed toilet seats.

How they are useful depends on where the toilet is used and in which way
the dry material is added. Because the only purpose of these techniques
is to avoid a stench of ammoniac.

Be surprised, as nothing special is needed to separate urine from “the
rest”, if the container is well aerated and after each emptying a good
layer of dry material is provided at the bottom. This way, the
separation happens by gravity.

The only smell in our toilet is that of humus from the dry leaves. Saw
dust from oaks smells better, but decomposes much slower. Saw dust from
pine-trees smells even better than that, but will decompose even slower.

We had tried wood cuttings from the garden shredder which are ideal in
the final compost, but do not really do the job in the toilet.

Anyway, bad smell is not an issue, if you do it right. And no mechanical
separation whatsoever is needed, if you are not into commercializing
complicated, state-of-the-art, designer-compost-toilets.

Michael
--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG brainpoolP512r1/5C2A258D 2015-10-02 [expires: 2017-10-01]
Old 08-04-2016, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Supersede due to 1 necessary Kraut2English conversion and one
clarification, added. Double-postings are due to your news-server's
(missing) capabilities.

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 00:43:53 +0100,
Hils wrote:

These manufacturers of compost toilets recommend leaving poo to compost
for at least a year before doing anything with it.

Not enough.

And much depends on the meteorological conditions. This year, our
compost takes much longer to “ripen”, than last year.

They have devised an ingenious way of separating urine.

Several systems have been developed that allow the separation by
mechanisms or specially designed toilet seats.

How they are useful depends on where the toilet is used and in which way
the dry material is added. Because the only purpose of these techniques
is to avoid a stench of ammoniac.

Be surprised, as nothing special is needed to separate urine from “the
rest”, if the container is well aerated and after each emptying a good
layer of dry material is provided at the bottom. This way, the
separation happens by gravitation.