Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Margaret Paige

Default need to worry about my blackcurrant bush?

Hallo evryone,

My blackcurrant bush has ants running all over an dup and down.
Do I need to worry?

Margaret

Old 09-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Emrys Davies

'Margaret',

Nothing to worry about. As you will see from this interesting site they
could be doing some good.

http://www.which.net/gardeningwhich/advice/ants.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 11-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Margaret Paige

Thank you

Interesting link

Margaret

" Emrys Davies" schreef in bericht

Old 12-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Druss

" Emrys Davies" wrote in message
'Margaret',

Nothing to worry about. As you will see from this interesting site they
could be doing some good.

http://www.which.net/gardeningwhich/advice/ants.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Margaret Paige" wrote in message
Hallo evryone,

My blackcurrant bush has ants running all over an dup and down.
Do I need to worry?

Margaret

Might be worthwhile keeping an eye on the growing tips, make sure the ants
aren't farming aphids, my Philadelphus! are currently suffering this fate,
blck ants farming and aphids wreaking havoc on the growing tips.
Duncan

Old 12-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Margaret Paige

I had a good look at the bush yesterday and found that there is a farm on
it!!! I had a brainwave and looked at the underside of the leaves and there
were all the aphids. I 've squirted water at them and got rid of the ants,
but they came back later and i saw there were still loads of aphids. Time
consuming job isn't it? I could concentrate on the growing tips

Thanks

margaret

"Druss" schreef in bericht

Old 13-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Tim

I had a good look at the bush yesterday and found that there is a farm
on
it!!! I had a brainwave and looked at the underside of the leaves and
there
were all the aphids. I 've squirted water at them and got rid of the
ants,
but they came back later and i saw there were still loads of aphids. Time
consuming job isn't it? I could concentrate on the growing tips

This might sound a bit simplistic but gather up all the ladybirds and
larvae you can find and put them on the bushes. Encourage lacewings - their
larvea are even better at aphid eating than ladybirds. Try and keep the
ants down for a bit until the ladybirds can eat enough. I've had moderate
success like this.
Tim.