Old 25-03-2018, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snake Gourd (Trichosanthes cucumerina)

Anyone tried growing it in the UK? Have been asked by a chap from
Bangladesh to try growing his families favourite.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 25-03-2018, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/03/18 11:54, Bob Hobden wrote:
Anyone tried growing it in the UK? Have been asked by a chap from
Bangladesh to try growing his families favourite.

Many, many years ago...

I think a few germinated but they never got much above that stage. I
probably didn't give it enough heat.

--

Jeff
Old 25-03-2018, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Mar 2018 13:29, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 25/03/18 11:54, Bob Hobden wrote:
Anyone tried growing it in the UK? Have been asked by a chap from
Bangladesh to try growing his families favourite.

Many, many years ago...

I think a few germinated but they never got much above that stage. I
probably didn't give it enough heat.

Yes, it's tropical so certainly if our summer is ordinary I can't
see much happening.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-03-2018, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
On 25 Mar 2018 13:29, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 25/03/18 11:54, Bob Hobden wrote:
Anyone tried growing it in the UK? Have been asked by a chap from
Bangladesh to try growing his families favourite.

Many, many years ago...

I think a few germinated but they never got much above that stage. I
probably didn't give it enough heat.

Yes, it's tropical so certainly if our summer is ordinary I can't
see much happening.

Especially as it needs to at least form and develop fruit. I have
grown Malabar spinach - OK, but unexciting - and someone grows
Ipomoea acquatica commercially and sells it on Cambridge market,
to which I reacted the same way.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.