Old 01-05-2018, 12:12 AM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland
Default Help please

Hello, we planted a laurel hedge three years ago some of the leaves are yellowing and falling off, they are also very slow growing. Are they lacking in nutrients. Last year I gave them a feed of Growmore granules.
Attached Thumbnails
Help please-img_20180430_233943-744x992.jpg
Old 01-05-2018, 01:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/05/2018 00:12, kerrygirl wrote:
Hello, we planted a laurel hedge three years ago some of the leaves are
yellowing and falling off, they are also very slow growing. Are they
lacking in nutrients. Last year I gave them a feed of Growmore granules.

|Filename: IMG_20180430_233943-744x992.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16644|

I don't know where you are but going by your name you could be to the
West of us here in Wales, if so then it could be water logging with all
the rain we have had the last year.
Also do remember that Laurel leaves don't stay on the plants for ever,
they do have a finite life and like a lot of plants they do draw some
minerals etc from leaves they are getting rid of.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland

David and Chris, thanks for replying. Yes we live in the west in a very exposed area. We planted a mix of laurel and Elaeagnus elbinni (not sure of the spelling) previously there was a row of battered fir trees there. Some of the hedging has taken off great but others are half the height. They're not water logged but having said that this winter was a wet one
Old 02-05-2018, 01:28 AM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland

The laurel is roughly about the same size but the Elaeagnus is tiny in places and enormous both in height and width in other places. Yes I see what you mean about the previous trees, when you say compost is it a bag of multipurpose you mean
Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland

Hi Chris, unfortunately I don't have my own compost, would love to but I couldn't manage all that turning from one place to another. Thanks for all your advice, I will give them some shop compost