#1   Report Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2014
Posts: 150
Default Slugs and copper

Will slugs and snails really refuse to touch copper?

I've got some seedling herbs outside that they keep having a go at. So I
was wondering if something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072MQFCM7

would actually work?

I'd prefer to keep toxic things like pellets away from foodstuffs plus I
don't want to needlessly kill slugs and snails - we have birds nesting
nearby that like eating them so it seems poor form to damage their food
chain.

  #2   Report Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2014
Posts: 150
Default Slugs and copper

On 09/06/18 10:25, Chris Hogg wrote:
assuming the key factor is some sort of
galvanic reaction between the copper and the slug, giving them a
tingle, or that they just don't like the taste of copper.


Hi Chris,

That's the main point - is it true or an old wive's tale?

If it's not true, they'll climb it (I saw a claim that under tests,
slugs will pretty much traverse most "horrible" substrates - but I don't
recall if copper was on the list.


The only real answer is to try it and see!


I guess - or plant the herbs in trays and transplant when they are big
enough to outgrow being eaten a bit (OK I'm lazy)
  #3   Report Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2017
Posts: 135
Default Slugs and copper

On 9 Jun 2018 09:05, Tim Watts wrote:
Will slugs and snails really refuse to touch copper?

I've got some seedling herbs outside that they keep having a go at. So I
was wondering if something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072MQFCM7

would actually work?

I'd prefer to keep toxic things like pellets away from foodstuffs plus I
don't want to needlessly kill slugs and snails - we have birds nesting
nearby that like eating them so it seems poor form to damage their food
chain.

Saw something recently and the copper band had to be rather wide to
actually work, like 50mm+. Search copper guitar tape. Can't find the
reference now sorry.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
  #4   Report Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2014
Posts: 150
Default Slugs and copper

On 09/06/18 15:29, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 9 Jun 2018 09:05, Tim Watts wrote:
Will slugs and snails really refuse to touch copper?

I've got some seedling herbs outside that they keep having a go at. So I
was wondering if something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072MQFCM7

would actually work?

I'd prefer to keep toxic things like pellets away from foodstuffs plus I
don't want to needlessly kill slugs and snails - we have birds nesting
nearby that like eating them so it seems poor form to damage their food
chain.

Saw something recently and the copper band had to be rather wide to
actually work, like 50mm+. Search copper guitar tape. Can't find the
reference now sorry.


That's interesting... Thanks.

I succumbed to getting some ferric phosphate "organic" pellets in the
farm shop as I noticed them whilst buying some other things. Just to
give the poor seedlings a chance to get going...

But I will try the copper "fence" as the theory should be similar: as
long as it goes tight to the ground, they'd have to climb it.

This is a "rockery" herb garden - a foot long trench along the top of a
dry retaining wall and the higher lawn behind it - so I don't have a lot
of width to lay 2" of tape both sides. But it would be easy to fence it.

Slugs certainly are annoying little gits. Longer term, this bed will be
taken over by a bay tree, lavender and lots of mint.

My longer term plan is to run the herbs in wall planters on the east
wall of the house (big boring wall with 2 tiny windows but lots of sun)
with an automatic drip watering system. If the slugs are hard enough to
climb 4' of dry LBC "Rustic" bare bricks, then I'm not arguing with them!



  #5   Report Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2017
Posts: 8
Default Slugs and copper

On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 20:20:02 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

But I will try the copper "fence" as the theory should be similar: as
long as it goes tight to the ground, they'd have to climb it.


Apart from the ones already living under the soil around your plants.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
The from address exists but is mostly dumped,
please send any emails to the address below
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com




  #6   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2018, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2009
Posts: 219
Default Slugs and copper

On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 09:05:46 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Will slugs and snails really refuse to touch copper?


Being very very careful not to upset anyone!

Some copper tape is plastic with a very thin copper covering, as we
can see copper is very expensive, If copper works, you might be able
to save one or two plants, but a row of lettice is not going to be
safe, tried it, did not work for me.
  #7   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2018, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2014
Posts: 150
Default Slugs and copper

On 09/06/18 22:09, Rodney Pont wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 20:20:02 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

But I will try the copper "fence" as the theory should be similar: as
long as it goes tight to the ground, they'd have to climb it.


Apart from the ones already living under the soil around your plants.


Good point...

This morning about 20% of the pellets were gone, nearly all around the
bay sapling (there's nothing to eat in that section).

Clearly more slugs than I thought...
  #8   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2018, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2014
Posts: 150
Default Slugs and copper

On 10/06/18 09:14, Derek wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 09:05:46 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Will slugs and snails really refuse to touch copper?


Being very very careful not to upset anyone!

Some copper tape is plastic with a very thin copper covering, as we
can see copper is very expensive, If copper works, you might be able
to save one or two plants, but a row of lettice is not going to be
safe, tried it, did not work for me.


Thanks for that Derek.


  #9   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2018, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 64
Default Slugs and copper

Tim Watts wrote:

I saw a claim that under tests, slugs will pretty much traverse most
"horrible" substrates - but I don't recall if copper was on the
list.


I suppose there'll always be one or two bad-ass slugs will tackle
anything ... survival of the fittest and all that.
  #10   Report Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2018
Posts: 2
Default Slugs and copper

In article , Derek
writes
On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 09:05:46 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Will slugs and snails really refuse to touch copper?


Being very very careful not to upset anyone!

Some copper tape is plastic with a very thin copper covering, as we
can see copper is very expensive, If copper works, you might be able
to save one or two plants, but a row of lettice is not going to be
safe, tried it, did not work for me.

I've used it on pots and it seemed to work -well the plants weren't
eaten.
--
Bert




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Copper & slugs [email protected] United Kingdom 28 28-02-2013 11:02 AM
copper v slugs and snails. Bigal United Kingdom 2 02-04-2012 10:29 AM
Slugs & Copper Floyd Gardening 11 29-01-2006 04:06 AM
Copper Rings to Deter Slugs and Snails M United Kingdom 18 26-01-2006 10:42 PM
Slugs or no slugs Kate Morgan United Kingdom 9 04-04-2003 02:20 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017