Old 10-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Adrian Jones

Default Rust on Chives

I just went out to cut some chives to put on my baked potatoes and was
disappointed to see the plant is covered in what looks like rust. Is there
anything I can or should do, or is the plant a lost cause for this year?
It's flowering beautifully, though, so at least it still looks pretty!

Thanks

Old 11-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Drakanthus wrote:
I just went out to cut some chives to put on my baked potatoes and was
disappointed to see the plant is covered in what looks like rust. Is there
anything I can or should do, or is the plant a lost cause for this year?
It's flowering beautifully, though, so at least it still looks pretty!

WD40 ? ;-)

Nice one! I wonder how that would work? You can spray with a generic
fungicide, though I would use a simple copper-based one on plants that
I am going to eat, or simply ignore the rust. It fairly rarely kills
native plants - well, obviously, or they wouldn't be native - and as
far as I know it isn't poisonous to humans.

I wouldn't eat badly rusted chives, though, in case it does have a
nasty mycotoxin - and some are VERY nasty. So you may have lost the
crop until later in the year, but the plants should recover.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rust on Chives Jan United Kingdom 0 06-02-2004 05:27 PM
Rust on Chives and Ornamental Allium Janice United Kingdom 3 13-06-2003 10:44 AM
The 10 Worst Chives of 2002 harvest dancer sci.agriculture 1 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 3 04-03-2003 10:27 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:03 PM