Old 02-05-2021, 02:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 01/05/2021 17:54, williamwright wrote:
On 30/04/2021 14:54, newshound wrote:
Have you actually tried a modern battery chainsaw, then?

Yes. A bag of shite when you're used to a good quality petrol machine.

Bill

well yes.
My shoulders are aching from this afternoons efforts to chop up a 10
metre tall tree that fell over last year.
The thickest part of the trunk - that I have yet to tackle - is about 2'
diameter.

My little chainsaw - petrol - is having trouble with the 8" diameter
sections. I guess its around 1500W equivalent.

Don't give up.

There are differences between the original chain, and
some third party replacements. I found my saw worked better
with the second chain on it. I would never have guessed
there would be a difference, as visually "a chain is a chain",
right ?

Paul
Old 02-05-2021, 08:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 02/05/2021 02:42, Paul wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* Paul

actually it is the original chain as the saw its brand new, but it
probably needs sharpening by now. So far its been brilliant, but really
the saw is too small for what I will be asking it to do. The blade
length is less than the trunk diameter...so the later cuts will be in
two goes, one from each side..

--
“Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,â€

– Ludwig von Mises
Old 02-05-2021, 01:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 02/05/2021 02:42, Paul wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 01/05/2021 17:54, williamwright wrote:
On 30/04/2021 14:54, newshound wrote:
Have you actually tried a modern battery chainsaw, then?

Yes. A bag of shite when you're used to a good quality petrol machine.

Bill

well yes.
My shoulders are aching from this afternoons efforts to chop up a 10
metre tall tree that fell over last year.
The thickest part of the trunk - that I have yet to tackle - is about
2' diameter.

My little chainsaw - petrol - is having trouble with the 8" diameter
sections. I guess its around 1500W equivalent.

Don't give up.

I didn't.

http://vps.templar.co.uk/index.php?album=Garden

First picture taken at 11:12 am. Last picture at around 13:12 pm.

Two resharpens, four tanks of petrol, and almost 2 hours of continuous
cutting.

150 meters down the garden so forget mains power, and really unless I
had 4 batteries ready charged, more than I could do with a battery one.

Batteries may work for occasional hobby use, but some of us have MAN
SIZED TREES.

There are differences between the original chain, and
some third party replacements. I found my saw worked better
with the second chain on it. I would never have guessed
there would be a difference, as visually "a chain is a chain",
right ?

Sharpening is te key. I need a new file now ...
Â*Â* Paul

--
“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false face for the
urge to rule it.â€