Old 12-05-2003, 02:22 PM
Annabel

Default Vine weevil

Whats the latest vine weevil treatment for containerised plants (I have
over 300 containers). How do the professionals deal with VW.

Bel

Old 12-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Annabel

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Annabel at
wrote on 12/5/03 12:18 pm:

Whats the latest vine weevil treatment for containerised plants (I

have
over 300 containers). How do the professionals deal with VW.

Bel

We use Nematodes. This url to an rhs site might help you:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/biocontrol.asp
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Thanks Sacha

I use your nursery when I am in the area and knew that you used other
biological control methods. I just wondered how you use the VW
nematodes, do you use them as a precaution in all pots or just as you
find VW.

Bel

Old 12-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Sacha

in article , Annabel at
wrote on 12/5/03 2:26 pm:

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Annabel at
wrote on 12/5/03 12:18 pm:

Whats the latest vine weevil treatment for containerised plants (I

have
over 300 containers). How do the professionals deal with VW.

Bel

We use Nematodes. This url to an rhs site might help you:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/biocontrol.asp
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Thanks Sacha

I use your nursery when I am in the area and knew that you used other
biological control methods. I just wondered how you use the VW
nematodes, do you use them as a precaution in all pots or just as you
find VW.

Bel

In spring and autumn we put them in a diluter and water them onto all pots,
everywhere throughout the whole nursery. An individual with just a few pots
would use a watering can, of course.
--

Sacha

Old 12-05-2003, 06:20 PM
bnd777

Get some Armillotox QUICK before they stop its sale .......water all the
containers every 10 days .......it works

Old 12-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Annabel

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Annabel at
wrote on 12/5/03 2:26 pm:

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Annabel at
wrote on 12/5/03 12:18 pm:

[...]

I'm in awe, that must be quite something trying to make sure you've got
all the pots that you must have and it can't be cheap either..

Impressed Annabel

Old 12-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Annabel

"bnd777" wrote in message
Get some Armillotox QUICK before they stop its sale .......water all

the
containers every 10 days .......it works

The name rings a bell but what is it sold under as a quick look round
has drawn a blank
Bel

Old 12-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Sacha

in article , Annabel at
wrote on 12/5/03 6:41 pm:

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Annabel at
wrote on 12/5/03 2:26 pm:

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Annabel at
wrote on 12/5/03 12:18 pm:

[...]

I'll have to ask He Who Is Currently Snoring. ;-) But if the Nematodes are
in a diluter and we're watering everything, they'll get zapped almost
automatically. We open to the public at 11am each day but the staff (and
Ray and Matthew) start work at 8am. That time is filled with bringing
plants down from the top of the Nursery to the sales area and with any
watering which is needed. The water contains the fertiliser and at
necessary times, the Nematodes.
Without checking, I can't remember the time lag between Nematode waterings
but that doesn't have to be done every day. I'll try to remember to check on
that tomorrow but if I forget and you want to know, please remind me. They
and all the other bio control wrigglies arrive at intervals and are
distributed in their various ways around the Nursery. It really works. As
you've probably seen, we also have a good bird population here and they nest
all over the garden and in several of the greenhouses and of course, they're
a great asset to a pest control programme.
Ray was one of the pioneers of bio control in this country so he's very
familiar with it - very relaxed about it.
Small funny story - a favourite client of ours told us that he watched a
woman going round the Fuchsia house a few weeks ago, looking around
surreptitiously to see if she was observed. When she thought she wasn't,
she snatched one of the little 'envelopes' of bio control off the wires and
stuffed it into her handbag. He is convinced she thought she'd stolen some
Fuchsia seeds and rubbed his hands in glee at the thought of her opening her
bag and finding all sorts of squirmies at the bottom of it!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Vine weevil - Armillatox David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 4 12-05-2003 11:44 PM
Vine weevil Annabel United Kingdom 1 12-05-2003 12:32 PM
Giant Vine weevil ??????? bnd777 United Kingdom 9 20-04-2003 11:44 PM
Vine Weevil Larvae in outside soil. [email protected] United Kingdom 13 03-04-2003 06:44 PM
Vine weevil preferences Pam Moore United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 06:20 PM