Old 12-05-2003, 03:21 PM
andrewpreece

Default Mermaid/Mountbatten Roses

I'm considering using evergreen or semi-evergreen roses for cloaking a wall
/forming a hedge; allegedly the two roses I mention in the title are
suitable
for the purposes ( in that order ). I know the species roses like Rugosa and
Scabrosa are good for hedges but they have bushy habits and I want an
upright
hedge narrower than it is high. As for cloaking a wall, Mermaid sounds good,
but I wondered if anyone out there has used these roses ( or other
semi-evergreen
roses ) for these purposes? Any comments?

Andy

Old 12-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Liz & Andy

andrewpreece wrote in message
I'm considering using evergreen or semi-evergreen roses for cloaking a

wall
/forming a hedge; allegedly the two roses I mention in the title are
suitable
for the purposes ( in that order ). I know the species roses like Rugosa

and
Scabrosa are good for hedges but they have bushy habits and I want an
upright
hedge narrower than it is high. As for cloaking a wall, Mermaid sounds

good,
but I wondered if anyone out there has used these roses ( or other
semi-evergreen
roses ) for these purposes? Any comments?

Andy

Hi Andy,

As regards Mermaid, although it is a lovely rose it is quite tempermental
and likes a warm spot. I wouldn't have said Mountbatten was semi-evergreen
and to be honest I tend to remove overwintering leaves anyway to cut down on
fungal infections.

Just a suggestion, but have you thought of using trellis with an evergreen
climber on one side and a rose on the other? I saw that done with the
climbing rose "Golden Showers" and evergreen honeysuckle and it looked very
good.

Liz

Old 14-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Liz & Andy" wrote in message

andrewpreece wrote in message
Hi Andy,

As regards Mermaid, although it is a lovely rose it is quite tempermental
and likes a warm spot. I wouldn't have said Mountbatten was

semi-evergreen
and to be honest I tend to remove overwintering leaves anyway to cut down

on
fungal infections.

Just a suggestion, but have you thought of using trellis with an evergreen
climber on one side and a rose on the other? I saw that done with the
climbing rose "Golden Showers" and evergreen honeysuckle and it looked

very
good.

Liz

Good suggestion, I too have found Mermaid a little tempermental! although
often recommended for north walls I have found it stiff and brittle, very
thorny and difficult to train. I now just let it do its own thing up in the
orchard.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

propogating and rooting mermaid vine j west +++ United Kingdom 3 22-07-2004 06:18 PM
propogating and rooting mermaid vine j west +++ United Kingdom 2 21-07-2004 11:34 PM
propogating and rooting mermaid vine j west +++ United Kingdom 2 21-07-2004 09:51 PM
Mermaid question Theo Roses 0 26-03-2004 08:06 PM
Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM Radika Kesavan Roses 18 05-04-2003 12:20 AM