Old 22-07-2004, 12:42 AM
j west +++

Default propogating and rooting mermaid vine

hi, i want to propogate some mermaid vine. i remember a long while ago
seeing someone put them in water to root. how should i prune them to do
this. should the joints where the new stems come from be at the bottom?
would roots come out from that point?
many thanks. john west

Old 22-07-2004, 12:44 AM
Sacha

On 18/7/04 12:02 pm, in article , "j
west +++" wrote:

hi, i want to propogate some mermaid vine. i remember a long while ago
seeing someone put them in water to root. how should i prune them to do
this. should the joints where the new stems come from be at the bottom?
would roots come out from that point?
many thanks. john west

Assuming this means Rhoicissus rhombifolium, the RHS Encyclopedia says by
seed in spring or by semi-ripe cuttings in summer but gives no more
indication than that. Just nip a few pieces off and try them out. Perhaps
taking some bits just above a node would be a good thing to experiment with,
too. Rooting things in water seems to take ages (probably because you can
watch it) so don't give up too soon!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-07-2004, 12:47 AM
Mike Lyle

"j west +++" wrote in message ...
hi, i want to propogate some mermaid vine. i remember a long while ago
seeing someone put them in water to root. how should i prune them to do
this. should the joints where the new stems come from be at the bottom?
would roots come out from that point?
many thanks. john west

If this is 'Grape Ivy', aka 'Cissus rhombifolia', it should be easy
enough to root from stem cuttings now, though I think it's getting a
bit late. I wouldn't use water, as water-roots can be difficult to
transfer to potting mixture.

Take a nice shoot: you want one with leaves at the top and bottom, and
somewhere vaguely around 4" long. Cut cleanly just below a
leaf-joint, gently take the leaves off the bottom half, and stick in a
?3" pot of moist (not soggy) half-grit and half-potting mixture. Put
it in a shady but reasonably warm place, cover with a plastic bag not
touching the leaves, and wait till you see new leaves beginning to
grow at the top; then you can move it into a slightly bigger pot.

Better houseplant gardeners than I may contradict, of course.

Mike.
Old 22-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Sacha

On 18/7/04 12:02 pm, in article , "j
west +++" wrote:

[...]

propogating and rooting mermaid vine j west +++ United Kingdom 2 21-07-2004 11:34 PM
propogating and rooting mermaid vine j west +++ United Kingdom 2 21-07-2004 09:51 PM
Mermaid question Theo Roses 0 26-03-2004 08:06 PM
Mermaid/Mountbatten Roses andrewpreece United Kingdom 2 14-05-2003 08:56 PM
[IBC] propogating beech/birch from seed Neal Ross Bonsai 3 13-03-2003 09:45 PM