Old 17-05-2003, 10:08 PM
ned

Default Horsetails and Roundup

Rufus wrote:
Sincere thanks to all who replied for some very helpful suggestions.

;-)

--
ned

Old 19-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Francoise P

In our allotments, we are not allowed the use of any weed killer. The only
way we know with mare,tail is to hoe regularly to stop the plant getting
light . I once dug a meter deep and it still came back. Hoeing if of course
easier in a neat allotment than in a garden ; unfortunately, mare tails now
invade my garden at home, starting under the pavement outside and making
their way in the flower beds! I am going to hoe and pull (fortunately the
soil is very sandy where I live) as much as I can of the plant, I don't see
any other solution.

Francoise
"Thomas Greeves" wrote in message

"Rufus" wrote in message

I would like to eliminate the use of 'chemicals' from my garden, but
right now it is infested with equisetales (aka horsetails, mare's tails,
etc). There are some big patches, others are in small clusters among
the vegetables and flowers.

The only way I know to get rid of them is to spray in the growing season
with glyphosate. Even then you have to give them a thrashing first to
scrape their surface and let the weedkiller penetrate.

If anyone knows of an alternative, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Meantime, the best I'm hoping for is to keep the amount of glyphosate I
use down to a minimum. Even that is a problem, since the only form I
can buy locally is ready-made solutions in spray containers. I have a
vague memory that you used to get it in other forms, in applicators that
allowed you to dab it on to individual weeds.

Does anyone know of any devices like this? Or could I simply use a
paintbrush?

There is also the problem of our climate. You can't spray unless it's
calm, and for plants to absorb the stuff the plants need to be dry, and
need to stay dry for several hours after spraying. That means waiting
till the dew has burned off, and hoping the forecast is right.

Again, is there any way round this? Could I spray, then cover the area
for a few hours?

I will experiment, but I'd welcome any advice.

There are various organic weed killer sprays available, but the are not

very
affective. Tumbleweed original extra strong (glyphosate) is available in

gel which comes with a paint brush. It needs a little time to dry, in

warm
weather this will probably be about 10 minutes.