Old 15-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Annabel

Default Dividing new bamboo plant

"Justin Thyme" wrote in message

"Annabel" wrote in message

"Justin Thyme" wrote in message

I have one that I split but I also used the severed rhizomes as

3
node
root cuttings, I had 15 grow out of 16 but they are slower to

produce
full sized plants. I did this so that I could trade them through

the
post.

Bel

That sounds really interesting. Do you have any special tips or

do
you have
a link to a website that gives more detail? I just started

collecting
bamboos about 18 months ago and certainly would be interested

eventually in
trading a few to increase the variety in the collection. Do you

just
trade
with close friends or is there some kind of network?

I have been to my favourites and unbelievably all of the links I had

are
now dead, I have also done searches but did not come up with

anything
much good.. The general recommendation for rhizome cuttings however

is
that they are 8" to 12" long laid horizontally, mine were about 4"
planted vertically.

I hope this is of some help.

Annabel

Many thanks

Did you use any hormone or particular compost?

No hormone, you dont on root cuttings. Normal soilless compost

I haven't got rhizomes of sufficient length just yet but no doubt will

soon!

My stock bamboos are in cotainers, I inspect the rootball to see if any
rhizomes are showing at the edge, they tend to grow round the inside
edge of the pot

What time of year did you take that batch of cuttings?

Now

Bel

Old 16-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Hussein M.

On Wed, 14 May 2003 00:38:13 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from contains these words:

I have just done this with part of our p. nigra that I have separated
from the main clump and dug out (not an easy job in itself). However,
I am not hopeful of success as I think I let the roots dry out too
much. After I had done it I looked it up on a US bamboo site and they
warned that you must NEVER let the roots dry out when dividing bamboo.

If they do all take, I would have about ten new plants, which I would
be tempted to grow on in pots, having seen what their parent had been
up to underground! (The same US bamboo site (I think - don't recall
where, but I would have found it with Google - suggested digging deep
trenches all round bamboos and filling them with concrete to restrict
the spread.)

Is p. nigra a thug then ? I'm about to plant one :-) Anyother tips
appreciated.

Hi, Janet,

I have one and it has been going about three years from a bought plant which was
already quite mature - enough for it now to be about 12' for some canes and I think it has
only ever sent out one wanderer. It doesn't seem to have spread out from the base much
either; just that one marauder which was snaking its way ready to pop up some three feet
away.

There was discussion back there about whether to cut back bamboo (to produce thicker
canes apparently). I don't mine. Maybe as long as it is unrestricted upwards, it's not so
fussed about sideways?

Respect

Hussein
Janet

Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.

dividing bamboo seneca Bamboo 11 23-08-2008 02:38 PM
Dividing & feeding a Bamboo Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 1 11-02-2006 07:41 PM
shortcut on dividing hardy lilies? Keith and Wendy Slonecker Ponds 2 19-04-2003 03:20 AM
dividing strelitzia reginae Nick Harrison United Kingdom 3 05-04-2003 09:56 AM
Dividing begonia bulbs [email protected] Gardening 3 14-03-2003 04:44 PM