Old 14-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Andrew Wells

Default Pear Problems

Hi

Our newly-planted pear tree (about two years old, Doyenne de Comice and
Beure Hardy (sp?)) has some small brown spots on several of its leaves.
Some of the ones that are most badly affected are also shrivelling up. Any
ideas, please?

Thanks

Andrew

Old 14-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Drakanthus

Our newly-planted pear tree (about two years old, Doyenne de Comice and
Beure Hardy (sp?)) has some small brown spots on several of its leaves.
Some of the ones that are most badly affected are also shrivelling up.

Any
ideas, please?
Andrew

Are they brown spots or brownish/red blisters? If the latter they may be
pear leaf blister mites. I've just had that problem on my young conference
pear tree. The book said to remove all affected leaves and burn them to stop
the disease spreading.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 14-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Andrew Wells

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
Are they brown spots or brownish/red blisters? If the latter they may be
pear leaf blister mites. I've just had that problem on my young conference
pear tree. The book said to remove all affected leaves and burn them to

stop
the disease spreading.

I've just had another look, for the first time in a couple of days, and
things have moved on. Some leaves still have spots, and they are brown /
red in colour - rusty, I would say - but definitely spots, not blisters.
Others have thin "tracks" cut in them, some of which have joined up to form
holes, or gaps in the edges of the leaves. We did have hail yesterday, but
I don't think it looks like hail damage. I don't think we've had frost
recently, although it has been a bit nippy at night (we're in mid Beds).

We rather liked our pear, and we don;t want to lose it!

Thanks

Andrew
--
Andrew Wells
Replace nospam with my first name to reach me

Pear problems Leslie United Kingdom 2 09-09-2004 08:22 PM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
Pear problems andrewpreece United Kingdom 0 16-04-2003 12:20 AM
Leaves turning black on pear tree Gary Harper Texas 0 29-03-2003 12:32 AM
Pear Tree Death Nick Maclaren Edible Gardening 10 25-01-2003 05:52 AM