Old 14-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Andrew Wells

Default Hole in Lawn

Hi

In our newly-laid (around January) lawn, there is a hole, (very) roughly 3mm
across, with earth piled around it. It appeared last week, when the weather
was somewhat kinder than it is now; we have also seen some similar ones on
verges etc around here. It puts me in mind of ant holes between paving
slabs etc, but is much larger. Any ideas?

Thanks

Andrew

Old 14-05-2003, 09:08 PM
ned

Andrew Wells wrote:
Hi

In our newly-laid (around January) lawn, there is a hole, (very)
roughly 3mm across, with earth piled around it. It appeared last
week, when the weather was somewhat kinder than it is now; we have
also seen some similar ones on verges etc around here. It puts me

in
mind of ant holes between paving slabs etc, but is much larger. Any
ideas?

All sorts of 'solitary' wasps (and other insects) dig holes in the
soil. They can be(e) pretty slim in girth.
And they are not necessarily dangerous either.

--
ned

Old 16-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Druss

"ned" wrote in message
Andrew Wells wrote:
Hi

In our newly-laid (around January) lawn, there is a hole, (very)
roughly 3mm across, with earth piled around it. It appeared last
week, when the weather was somewhat kinder than it is now; we have
also seen some similar ones on verges etc around here. It puts me

in
mind of ant holes between paving slabs etc, but is much larger. Any
ideas?

All sorts of 'solitary' wasps (and other insects) dig holes in the
soil. They can be(e) pretty slim in girth.
And they are not necessarily dangerous either.

--
ned

Might be a solitary Bee as well. Calling them wasps gives some people the
wrong idea, don't know why.

We have lots of these holes in the lawn, no big deal in my case it's not a
bowling green, we've also got mortar bees living in the roof, again so what,
maybe in about 20 or 30 years they could cause a problem, but if the roof
lasts that long without being looked at then great.

Sorry preaching again, must stop it.
Duncan

Duncan

Filling a large hole in the lawn [email protected] United Kingdom 7 20-04-2007 07:40 PM
Large hole in my lawn Griff Lawns 0 16-04-2007 09:57 AM
filling a deep hole on my lawn Rene Wong Lawns 13 04-06-2004 02:11 PM
Pond Hole Dug!!! Yahoo!!! BenignVanilla Ponds 21 02-04-2003 03:08 PM
Hole in Ice - Canada Joel Ponds (alternative) 12 14-02-2003 10:03 PM