Old 16-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Jayne

Default Rose question

When should I expect to see some life from a newly planted bare root rose? I
planted it straight after delivery about a month ago but it still just looks
like a dead twig.

My other roses are full of buds & growing strongly.

Thanks,
Jayne

Old 16-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Rod

"Jayne" wrote in message ...
When should I expect to see some life from a newly planted bare root rose? I
planted it straight after delivery about a month ago but it still just looks
like a dead twig.

That's probably what it is ;~(((( Sorry.
Have you tried scratching the bark with your finger nail?
Still green underneath? If so don't quite write it off yet?

Rod

Old 17-05-2003, 11:08 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Jayne" wrote in message
When should I expect to see some life from a newly planted bare root rose?

planted it straight after delivery about a month ago but it still just

looks
like a dead twig.

My other roses are full of buds & growing strongly.

Thanks,
Jayne

Jayne,
have you been giving it loads of water?
I bought some bare root roses from Morrisons supermarket and two of the
three looked dead(ish).
I followed the instructions to soak them in water overnight, and ended up
soaking them for over a day as well.
To my surprise they had already started showing little red shoots when I
came to plant them out (in tubs).
They seemed to stop once planted out, so I have made a point of watering
them every day and keeping the compost really moist.
They seem to like this and are all sprouting well.
HTH
Dave R

P.S. what size are the stem or stems?

With my 3 Peace roses I have found that the thinner the old wood the more
readily it shoots.
Thickness of a pencil or less - loads of activity.
10 mm diameter - reluctant sprouting
20 mm diameter - (only one) - nothing

Been meaning to post this for a few days :-)

Old 17-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Jayne

I've been watering, have fertilised & mulched with bark. This one was from
Spaldings & I paid quite a lot for it as it was very pretty (in the
picture!). It's been raining buckets for a couple of days now too - I will
go & see if I can see any green under the bark as suggested by Rod.

It is about 30cm tall & quite thin - about the thickness of a pencil. I will
be disappointed if it doesn't grow.

:-(
Jayne

Old 17-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Rod

"Jayne" wrote in message ...
I've been watering, have fertilised & mulched with bark.

I would lay off on the feeding Jayne. It is usually counter productive to feed a plant that 's not growing. Like
feeding a sick child on gin & kippers. If you have a plant you know is strong and healthy just coming out of normal
dormancy you can feed that and kick it of to a good start.

Rod