Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Laurence Wilmer

Default Nails in trees?

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

.
I had forgotten how difficult rope ladders are to climb!!
Laurence

The trick, if it's not tethered at both ends, is to put each foot at
different sides of the ladder.

Still not easy in bare feet ... :-(

Mary

Hmmm... I may be pondering the physics of that for a long time.. how does
the ladder rung know which side the foot is coming from?

What? Go and try it? The idea here is to keep children challenged, to
encourage physical and mental development. I'm past it, and now use an step
ladder.

(Pet physics peeve: children's books that say astronauts in orbit float
because there is no gravity in space!).

Laurence

Old 02-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Mary Fisher

"Tim" wrote in message
newsprp44gl0fwxhha1@localhost...

(Pet physics peeve: children's books that say astronauts in orbit float
because there is no gravity in space!).

Laurence

If you feel like that, have you seen the Bad Astronomy site ? Excellent!
http://www.badastronomy.com

Better than that!

Mary

Tim.

Old 02-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Martin Richards

"Mary Fisher" wrote
(Pet physics peeve: children's books that say astronauts in orbit float
because there is no gravity in space!).

Don't get me going on children's books ... Grrrrrrrrrrrr .....

Hah! Try the New York Times, which is claiming that "The kilogram is
getting lighter"
(http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/27/sc...ted=1&ei=5040&
en=d86d1d4f9255fc79&ex=1054699200&partner=MOREOVER ) Last time I looked, the
kilogram was the unit of mass, not weight...

Martin, wandering even further off topic

Old 02-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Mary Fisher

"Martin Richards" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote
(Pet physics peeve: children's books that say astronauts in orbit

float
because there is no gravity in space!).

Don't get me going on children's books ... Grrrrrrrrrrrr .....

Hah! Try the New York Times, which is claiming that "The kilogram is
getting lighter"

That's inflation for you.

Mary

Old 03-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Laurence
Wilmer writes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

.
I had forgotten how difficult rope ladders are to climb!!
Laurence

The trick, if it's not tethered at both ends, is to put each foot at
different sides of the ladder.

Still not easy in bare feet ... :-(

Mary

Hmmm... I may be pondering the physics of that for a long time.. how does
the ladder rung know which side the foot is coming from?

You don't take the first foot off before putting on the second, so it
knows it's coming from the other side ;-)

Problem with rope ladder is that your feet tend to shoot from under you,
leaving ladder at 45 degrees with you hanging under it. Holding rungs
from behind will help to correct this, keeping your upper body close to
the ladder and therefor above your feet, but some people prefer to go up
as Mary describes with one foot from behind.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 03-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Mary Fisher

.
I had forgotten how difficult rope ladders are to climb!!
Laurence

The trick, if it's not tethered at both ends, is to put each foot at
different sides of the ladder.

Still not easy in bare feet ... :-(

Mary

Hmmm... I may be pondering the physics of that for a long time.. how does
the ladder rung know which side the foot is coming from?

You don't take the first foot off before putting on the second, so it
knows it's coming from the other side ;-)

Problem with rope ladder is that your feet tend to shoot from under you,
leaving ladder at 45 degrees with you hanging under it. Holding rungs
from behind will help to correct this, keeping your upper body close to
the ladder and therefor above your feet, but some people prefer to go up
as Mary describes with one foot from behind.

Some people yes. In truth I prefer not to go up (or down) them at all!

Mary

--
Kay Easton