Old 23-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Victor West

Default Screen to Give Extra Height to Fence

Hello,
I would like to add some non growing screening to my 6ft garden fence to
give around 3ft of extra screening. Is there something simple and cheap that
I can use? I thought that bamboo screen might be the answer but am unsure
the best way of attaching it. The length required is about 20-30 ft. Any
other ideas?

Thanks

Victor

Old 23-05-2003, 09:59 PM
hayley

we used expanding trellis for ours - we used it because we had 6' fence
panels which slotted into concrete posts with slots cut in them. The slots
were an inch deep sop we needed something 5'10''. We only went 2' higher
than our 5' fence. We got expanding trellis which was 5' by 6' (when fully
expanded), pulled it out to 5' by 5'10'' and screwed the bottom 3' to the
fence panels.
Hayley

Old 23-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Victor West

"hayley" wrote in message
we used expanding trellis for ours - we used it because we had 6' fence
panels which slotted into concrete posts with slots cut in them. The slots
were an inch deep sop we needed something 5'10''. We only went 2' higher
than our 5' fence. We got expanding trellis which was 5' by 6' (when fully
expanded), pulled it out to 5' by 5'10'' and screwed the bottom 3' to the
fence panels.
Hayley

Thanks for that. However, I would like something with less holes in it than
trellis - if possible.

Victor

Old 23-05-2003, 10:22 PM

"Victor West" wrote in message
Hello,
I would like to add some non growing screening to my 6ft garden fence to
give around 3ft of extra screening.

If your boundary fence exceeds 2 metres in height, (1 metre adjoining a
highway) you need planning permission. It is only growing plants that can
exceed that height without planning restrictions.

Colin Bignell

Old 23-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Victor West

nightjar wrote in message
. ..

"Victor West" wrote in message
Hello,
I would like to add some non growing screening to my 6ft garden fence to
give around 3ft of extra screening.

If your boundary fence exceeds 2 metres in height, (1 metre adjoining a
highway) you need planning permission. It is only growing plants that can
exceed that height without planning restrictions.

Colin Bignell

Does that apply to semi-permanent additions as well?

Victor

Old 24-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Paul Kelly

"Victor West" wrote in message

nightjar wrote in message
. ..

"Victor West" wrote in message
Hello,
I would like to add some non growing screening to my 6ft garden fence

give around 3ft of extra screening.

If your boundary fence exceeds 2 metres in height, (1 metre adjoining a
highway) you need planning permission. It is only growing plants that

can
exceed that height without planning restrictions.

Colin Bignell

Does that apply to semi-permanent additions as well?

Strictly speaking,yes. But unless there is a formal complaint, the council
will take no action.

Add 60cm of in situ built trellis in tile batten. Cheaper and more robust
than expanding or manufactured trellis

pk

Old 24-05-2003, 02:44 AM

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

"Victor West" wrote in message

nightjar wrote in message
. ..

"Victor West" wrote in message
Hello,
I would like to add some non growing screening to my 6ft garden

fence
give around 3ft of extra screening.

If your boundary fence exceeds 2 metres in height, (1 metre adjoining

highway) you need planning permission. It is only growing plants that

can
exceed that height without planning restrictions.

Colin Bignell

Does that apply to semi-permanent additions as well?

Strictly speaking,yes. But unless there is a formal complaint, the council
will take no action.

That is not true for all Councils. Some take an active role in detecting and
acting against breaches of planning regulations.

Colin Bignell

Old 24-05-2003, 04:22 AM
bnd777

Other than trellis you are not allowed to have any kind of fence over 2
metres in height
that includes adding bamboo screening stuff

Old 24-05-2003, 09:44 AM

"bnd777" wrote in message
Other than trellis you are not allowed to have any kind of fence over 2
metres in height

Can you give any pointer to the authority for trellis being exempt from this
particular piece of planning law? My understanding is that only growing
plants are not constrained to a maximum height along the boundary.

Colin Bignell

Old 24-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
wrote:

"bnd777" wrote in message
Other than trellis you are not allowed to have any kind of fence over 2
metres in height

Can you give any pointer to the authority for trellis being exempt from this
particular piece of planning law? My understanding is that only growing
plants are not constrained to a maximum height along the boundary.

Yes, I can :-( Both statements are myths. I have the 1971 Act at home,
and could look up the later one, but I have reason to believe that
neither help.

The gist of the matter is that the wording refers to permanent buildings,
in a way that it is unclear whether garden sheds without services count,
and that the interpretation is left open. In order to challenge a
planning authority's interpretation, you would have to show that it is
unreasonable - NOT just uniquely bizarre - which is hard.

This excludes London, where there is an explicit by-law and has been
for decades, but I can't tell you the details.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 24-05-2003, 11:20 AM
hayley

If your boundary fence exceeds 2 metres in height, (1 metre adjoining a
highway) you need planning permission. It is only growing plants that can
exceed that height without planning restrictions.

I thought that there were ways around this by playing on the definition of
"fence". I'm sure I heard somewhere that if (for example) you used those
metal big-square-holders-with-a-spike-on-the-end to hold your fence up
(rather than concrete) then it did not count as a permanent structure so was
not covered.
Hayley

Old 25-05-2003, 11:45 AM
Ron

"Victor West" wrote in message
Hello,
I would like to add some non growing screening to my 6ft garden fence to
give around 3ft of extra screening. Is there something simple and cheap

that
I can use? I thought that bamboo screen might be the answer but am unsure
the best way of attaching it. The length required is about 20-30 ft. Any
other ideas

I suppose you could build a nine foot fence a couple of inches inside your
property. I wonder what the law would make of that?

Geoff

Fence Height Endulini United Kingdom 11 19-10-2010 09:21 PM
Give us a square foot and we'll give you a year's worth of produce Ablang Gardening 1 20-04-2008 08:18 AM
Fence height off ground Sacha United Kingdom 8 03-08-2006 08:34 PM
Deer fence height jerry Gardening 12 05-06-2005 03:41 AM
POOL SCREEN AVAILABLE HERE (LANAI SCREEN POOL CAGE ) The Poolscreen Guy Lawns 2 13-10-2004 02:06 AM