Old 24-05-2003, 02:20 PM
miklol

Default spring onions

My spring onions are very top heavy, all green and no bulb, and so I have
lovely green tops laying on the ground as they are too heavy. Is there any
thing I can do, eg. trim the tops? and is there anything I may have done
wrong?

Old 24-05-2003, 04:32 PM
David Hill

Sounds as if you have given them to much Nitrogen in their feed.
But why do you want bulbs?
The general idea of Spring/salad onions is to produce long slim stems with
a good green top.
In my days of market gardening you would get complaints from the wholesalers
if your onions were bulbing up.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-05-2003, 12:32 AM
shannie

"David Hill" wrote in message
Sounds as if you have given them to much Nitrogen in their feed.
But why do you want bulbs?
The general idea of Spring/salad onions is to produce long slim stems

with
a good green top.
In my days of market gardening you would get complaints from the

wholesalers
if your onions were bulbing up.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

I wish I were you, they are the one thing that simply won't grow for me, the
one's I planted in late march are about 1" high and yellow at the top (those
that didn't die!) all the following on plantings look to be about the same,
love to know if I did anything wrong too...perhaps the opposite, not enough
nitrogen?

Spring Onions - Onions? Charles Thorpe United Kingdom 1 19-09-2003 06:51 AM
Spring Onions - Onions? Charles Thorpe United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 11:48 PM
spring onions(try again) miklol United Kingdom 2 24-03-2003 08:44 PM
spring onions miklol United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 11:30 AM
spring onions miklol United Kingdom 8 30-09-2002 06:35 AM