Old 25-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Mark

Default Newbie Help...Cuttings from Camellia

Hello all,

I'm new to gardening, having bought my first house and inherited a very
mature garden. I've made a really pleasing start, having removed three
HORRIBLE 24' conifers (with help!!!) and built my first pond (16' long!).

However, there is a lovely camellia which flowered in April, but it is
surrounded by yet more conifers, and I think I'll have to clear the lot.
I've read that I might be able to take 'leaf bud cuttings', but couldn't
find any pictures to show how this is done - I can't visualise it, so can
anyopne help? Also, when is the best time to do this?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Mark

Old 26-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Joe

On Sun, 25 May 2003 at 22:56:33 Mark
wrote:
However, there is a lovely camellia which flowered in April, but it is
surrounded by yet more conifers, and I think I'll have to clear the lot.
I've read that I might be able to take 'leaf bud cuttings', but couldn't
find any pictures to show how this is done - I can't visualise it, so can
anyopne help? Also, when is the best time to do this?

I'm no expert but two of four such cuttings did take for me. One
failed about six months to a year after taking. Three years, if not
four, later, the remaining one is about 8" (20cm) tall. It is very slow
growing and not very practical unless your shrub is irreplaceable.

I took the entire leaf including the leaf stem and a bit of a node at
the end of the leaf stem. Sunk them, up to the leaf base, in small
individual pots of ericaceous compost and put them in a warm propagator.
The wait was endless - months and months - but finally shoots sprouted
out of the compost (away from the base of the leaf). I started mine in
late Summer (probably not the best time of year either).

Good luck
--
Joe Farrugia, London

Old 26-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sun, 25 May 2003 22:56:33 +0100, "Mark"
wrote:

Hello all,

I'm new to gardening, having bought my first house and inherited a very
mature garden. I've made a really pleasing start, having removed three
HORRIBLE 24' conifers (with help!!!) and built my first pond (16' long!).

However, there is a lovely camellia which flowered in April, but it is
surrounded by yet more conifers, and I think I'll have to clear the lot.
I've read that I might be able to take 'leaf bud cuttings', but couldn't
find any pictures to show how this is done - I can't visualise it, so can
anyopne help? Also, when is the best time to do this?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Mark

Leaf bud cuttings are difficult to describe in words. Basically
they're a thin slice of stem cut out from behind where the leaf joins
the stem, and including the leaf and the growth bud at the junction
between leaf and stem. I usually cut the leaf in half cross-wise to
reduce transpiration when I take them.

But they're not the only method of propagating camellias. Any shoot of
half-ripe wood, taken with a heel and put into a peat/grit-sand mix
will do as well IME. The best time is early autumn, say September,
when this year's shoots have ripened a bit. Use those about 4 to 6
inches long with say three or four leaves on. Cut off the lowest leaf
or two close to the stem to give say 2 inches of bare stem, dip the
heel in hormone rooting powder, insert into the mix, cover with a poly
bag and seal it. Put in a well-lit position but not in direct
sunshine, in the greenhouse or on a window-sill. Gentle bottom heat
helps. Check every couple of weeks to see the compost is still damp
(but don't get it sodden), and spray the leaves from time to time.

You can also layer them, but if you want info on that and leaf bud
propagation, try your local library for a book.

BTW, you can cut camellias pretty well to the ground and they'll put
out new shoots in a couple of months or so, if that helps save the
original.

--
Chris